Chapter 34

Xavier walks me out of the  school corridors into the open grounds. The entire dinner set up is in the ground and so its quite bursting with people. We walk to the side of the school ground where it is more emptier. He then takes both my hands and stands before me.

"You want to go home?" He asks and I shake my head.

"No. I have barely enjoyed the ball. I can't let Chase spoil the first and probably last ball of my life." I say and he nods.

"Okay. You sit here for a while and I'll get you a drink." He says and I nod in approval. He leaves and I play the events of the past few minutes in my head. I can't believe Chase tried to kiss me! He is angry but he has no right to be. It is me who has every right to be irritated and angry. My hands go up to tuck a loose curl of my hair when I realize that my hair is all messed up because of Chase slamming me to the walls. I remove all the bobby pins from my bun and let my hair fall loose. I know my make up must me all smudged but I don't think I care.

"Sam!" I hear Bella and Carly before I see them. I quickly wipe my tears to eradicate any signs of tears or sadness.

"Hey guys." I say as they stand before me. Its quite lit where we are standing but still not clear enough to see faces properly.

"I swear I am killing Chase Anderson!" Carly exclaims and Bella nods frantically.

"Are you okay?" Bella asks and I nod with a smile.

"We saw Xavier walking in the ball room, all covered in sweat. We knew something happened." Carly explains and just then Xavier come from the back, carrying a glass of fruit juice.

"Here you go." He says and hands me the glass while I sip.

"Guys I don't want this big night to be gloomy okay. Lets go back and enjoy just like we are supposed to. We can plan Chase's murder tomorrow." I say to make the situation light and Bella claps her hands in glee.

"But Sam what he did today was too much." Carly speaks between clenched teeth and I caress her shoulder.

"It was wrong but it happened. Sitting here, crying and discussing about my feeling won't change anything. All it will do is spoil our big night. And I don't want that for any of us. Okay?" I say hopefully trying to mean what I am saying.

"That's like my girl!" Bella says and with one last concerned look, Carly nods in approval. We all go back to the dance and I start dancing again. Even after everything, being in Xavier's arms feels so much better.

"May I have the next dance?" I hear Zack from behind me. I smile at him and he looks at Xavier who stares back in return. I don't know what happens but Zack's cool expression falters for a moment. He regains his composure and holds his hand out for me. I take a look at Xavier and see his face set in a grim expression. I squeeze his shoulder and he snaps out of the trance he is in. He reluctantly lets me go and I take Zack's hand. As I take positions with him, I see Xavier walk away and I loose him in the crowd. Zack's voice brings me back to him,

"Enjoying the party?"

"Oh yes. Its nothing like the school I came to yesterday." I say truthfully and  he grins in approval. He is a good dancer but the feeling is not the same as it is with Xavier. We dance and Zack jokes about anything and everything making me laugh everytime. My mood is so much happier after a while and I mentally thank Zack for that.

"Can I have my date back." Xavier appears beside Zack after two songs and Zack looks at me. I bow down and smile at him.

"Thanks for the dance, I had great fun." I say and he smiles too while I drape my hand on Xavier's shoulder.