Chapter Twelve - Fire

Fire erupted in the pit of my stomach as his lips met mine, the rush of heat exploding into flames. My eyes closed the moment our lips connected, my arms moving around his neck, pulling for more as he kissed me urgently.
I was hungry for him, desperate, I needed him, now more than ever before.

From the back of his throat he let out a small growl, one hand remained on my cheek, the other moving to pull me towards him at the small of my back. I cling to him, as though my life depended on it. Our bodies pulled tightly together, my arms looped around his neck.

It wasn't until I felt the back of my knee hit the sofa that I realised we had been moving backwards towards the lounge. My throat was dry, my lungs constricting, but I didn't care, all I wanted was Duke, in his entire form.
My heart rate had exceeded natural speed, pulsing through my ears, beating against my rib cage as he pushed me gently down, never moving his lips from mine.
He edged me down until I was completely flat on my back, my arms firm around his neck as he placed himself down on top of me, not letting any of his weight apply.
I assumed he had heard, or felt my dangerously high heart rate, because he pulled away, tearing his lips from mine, a small smile in place as he looked down at me

"Don't ever leave me, ever again" He huskily whispered as he trailed kisses down my neck, brushing the edges of my bandage with his lips

I shook my head, unable to speak, forgetting how to even voice words that would make coherent sense. There was simply nothing I could say to explain how overwhelmed I felt to have him back in my arms.
Wrapped in his embrace was where I belonged. It didn't matter that he was not human, because neither was I.
For once in my life, my heart and my mind, they wanted the exact same thing, Duke.

I pushed my hands up the back of his neck, entangling my fingers into his hair as he continued to trail kisses down my neck and along my throat

I closed my eyes, lost in his touch, my mind scrambling to keep up with how my body reacted against his every move, his every kiss
"I love you" My barely audible voice escaped the words, surprisingly not only myself, but seemingly Duke too. He pulled away slightly, his eyes pausing on mine before searching my face. It was then I noticed the intense lack of colour within his eyes, they were black, deep and dark. Not an inch of me was afraid of him, every sense in my body knowing I could trust that he would never hurt me, no matter what state of mind he would be pushed to.

I could see that he was struggling with himself, but he was managing, he was being careful of his control

"I love you too" He suddenly whispered back, his eyes pulsing back into a lighter shade of black, his chest rising and falling gently as we stared at each other, nose to nose as his thumb caressed the side of my face

Slowly closing his eyes, he held his breath in before exhaling deeply, and then he rushed his lips back towards mine. We collided with such force that the entire world spun, adrenaline shooting through my bloodstream with warmth. I grasped at his hair, pulling his face as close to mine as possible, instinctively wrapping my legs around his waist

Pulling back ever so slightly, his lips remaining on mine, he spoke, quietly, nervously "I trust myself"
In that moment, my heart skipped more than one beat, my chest tightening. I knew exactly what he had meant, exactly what he was insinuating. This was it, this was the moment I, we, had been waiting for. Finally we could be together, properly, letting go of our distrust, our emotions for one another. I clung to him with all hopes that it would be everything I had imagined, and then, as my fingers found his belt buckle, he groaned, tearing himself from me.
He quickly, and unexpectedly separated our bodies, pulling my arms from his belt and his lips from mine. He hastily stood, my legs falling from him, our entire connection broken, cold. He readjusted himself as he took a step back from me, patting his dishevelled hair down, clearing his throat