7 | Broken

When Jae-Ha was sure that Ailee had gone safely on her way and not within earshot, he plastered a convincing smile on his face and turned back to the male that was staring at him with a confused expression

"Hey, you don't have to look at me like that." Jae-Ha held his hands in the air, as a sign of good faith. "My captain wants to meet you. We certainly won't do anything bad to you, and you can even bring your master along."

"I refuse to go even now."

"Your master seems very important, you don't have to worry..." Jae-Ha trailed off as his heart began to beat wildly in his chest and his eyes widened in shock.

"Sorry for waiting Hak." A red-haired girl stood before them both and Jae-Ha was overcome with the urge to bow down before this nameless girl. This couldn't be happening... Not now and most certainly not to him. His dragon leg throbbed incessantly.

"Stop fidgeting and get in there!" The man's voice was as gruff as his exterior and his big hand grasped firmly onto Ailee's arm. She was sure that under the sleeve of her dress the skin would be blooming different shades of reds and purples.

The man continued to haul her down the stairs of the ship and kicked open the lone door that was at the end of the short walkway. He threw the still struggling girl inside and she landed roughly on the floor and she visibly winced.

Ignoring the pain and the thoughts of the marks landing on the floor would leave, she glared at her captor and spat at him, "let me go! You can't keep me here!" These weren't words that sounded like she was begging for her life; it was more like she was fighting for her life.

She wasn't just going to lay here and allow herself to be broken. Ailee was stronger than that and was determined, like her grandmother, Gi-Gan.

The man looked down the end of his nose at her and his eyes narrowed. He strode over to her and grabbed her by her bangs, elevating her off the ground. With her arms tied behind her back it was hard to physically fight him off. So all she could do was endure it and fight through the pain.

"Watch it little girl." He drew a short knife from his belt and held the cold blade up to just below her eye. It glinted in the little moonlight that filtered into the cabin. Her eyes slanted to the side as she looked at the weapon that threatened to slice her cheek.

She raised her eyes to meet his, and they hardened like steel. Fear was the last thing she wanted to break through her cold facade.

"It would be a shame to scar this pretty face, so just be quiet and keep that mouth of yours shut." He tapped her mouth with the point of the knife, a bead of blood came to the surface and threatened to escape her lips. Like the tears in her eyes, it stayed firmly in place.

He released her hair and struck her with the hilt of his knife, causing her to fall to the floor with laboured, shaky breaths. So much for steeling her resolve, it was slowly crumbling.

With one last kick he exited the room.

Once the door slammed shut, Ailee heard some movements behind her and the binds on her hands unravelled and fell to the wooden floor.

"Are you ok?" an elegant girl asked, as Ailee turned her head to see who had untied her. Concern was clear in the other girl's eyes.

Ailee looked about her, just now realising she wasn't the only one in the narrow cabin. Every girl that was there had a uniqueness about them, but each one was beautiful.

She then realised that this must be one of the slaving ships owned by Kum-Ji; the ones her grandmother always spoke about.

Ailee gulped and rubbed her sore wrists. What had she gotten herself into?

 What had she gotten herself into?