When It All Falls Apart: Grace's POV

This was the morning I woke up and almost forgot that I was supposed to be a superhero. Last night was like cloud cover over me. Heck, I hadn't even changed into pajamas. I just fell asleep in the dress, waking up to see Wanda standing beside my bed, while I rubbed my mascara-smeared eyes.

"We've got to hurry," she said in a low tone.

"Oh man, what time is it?" I asked, jumping out of bed, wincing, feeling like I would probably have a permanent mark from the one-shoulder strap from the dress.

"Almost 9 AM Vienna time. No idea what time it is back in the states." Wanda said. "We've got to be out of here in less than an hour, including breakfast. Hurry!" Wanda told me.  I rushed to shower, dry my unruly hair, apply the usual makeup, and get back into my plain black uniform.  I zipped up the jacket, looking at myself in the mirror. What a shame, I never even got to put on the Avengers symbol patch onto the jacket, but then again, I thought, as I followed Wanda, she never had a patch applied to hers, either.

Maybe it was because I was so desperate to belong to something, to a group, to someone, that I had to have that kind of identity. Tony had called me a "fellow Avenger" last night, and in front of the prince, no less.

 I almost smiled as we walked down the hallway together. I had met a prince last night, how could I forget? I didn't, really, I was just so preoccupied with what was happening today that last night felt like it was another world, another life entirely.

"C'mon, breakfast is downstairs," Natasha said, who had been standing at the end of the hallway. We followed her into the elevator, but my nerves were so edgy, I almost asked her to take the stairs. I would've, had there been any time left to spare, but I knew that there wasn't.

I remembered that I would definitely see Prince T'Challa today at the signing of the Accords, but that didn't really make me feel all fluttery inside. I was more worried about what would happen when I saw him- and what kind of decision his father would make regarding my fate. No, I hadn't forgotten about that, either.

 I didn't come to Vienna to fall in love with anybody- I came here because I was forced to, forced into this life, and now I am also being forced to make a choice I don't think I want to make: Whether or not to sign the Accords.

I don't think I want to do it. So many people have been controlling me for so long, the sound of an international committee deciding if I get to go save the day or not doesn't settle with me . but I also understand that accountability is important, too. I am torn, and anybody who advises me has already firmly chosen and would be biased, anyways.

Wanda won't sign the accords, I think, as we are led into the building where the meeting will take place. She won't sign because she's a rebel. Maybe I won't have a choice in signing them, depending on what King T'Chaka decides- Wanda's fate is also wrapped up in this.

 Maybe none of us can make the right decision. I walk into the huge room with my head held high, taking firm steps in my combat boots. I feel more like a soldier and less like an Avenger, more like a game piece rather than a player.  There are so many people, most of them much older than me, gathered from their respective countries, all here to judge me.

 Just as Natasha shows me and Wanda to our seats, I see him. Prince T'Challa greets Natasha with a polite smile, and shakes her hand. He's not really looking at her, I realize- he's looking at me. Natasha knows this, but pretends not to notice- she's good at that- and I can't hear what they are talking about. Diplomatic stuff, no doubt. What a load of crud this whole thing is.

 The more I look around the room, the more I doubt that these people have what is best in mind- all they care about is their own country keeping people like me in check, but I can't stop thinking about what Tony said- the more I look at each argument, the more I see that both sides are equally wrong and equally right. I'm no political genius, or any genius at all for that matter, but even I can see the division.