Agreement

On the way the way home the atmosphere was dense from mom's attitude towards me wanting to be a part of the baseball team.

"So Nanami, it's pretty darn cool that you're also getting scouted by the baseball team." My dad smiled me at me through the mirror.

"Yeah. I liked them. They seem really fun." I smiled back. I'd hoped to join the team. I knew my priority was softball but I wanted to be as close as I could to Megumi. Who knows, maybe if she got scouted I could too.

"I don't think you should associate yourself with the baseball team Nanami. You should focus on becoming better in softball." Mom sounded upset as she stared forward at the winding road.

"Oh honey. She'll be fine. If anything she'll actually be practicing more." Dad joked around with her.

"She'll be playing with boys though. Boys. You know, the things that you try to keep away from." She emphasized.

"Boys shmoys." He scoffed. "She's an athlete on the field." His pride wore on his words. We turned to pull into the drive way.

I stared at the grass stain on my shirt. It felt good to be able to dive and not to care about getting hurt. Being a softball pitcher, not many coaches want you to have contact with any players on the field. Softball wasn't like baseball. You have a time limit to get recruited. I loved playing it, but I hated the thought of losing my career for an injury.

The thing was, I couldn't stop thinking about how much fun the atmosphere was on that field with the boys. The coach challenged me and they were supportive. I would even bet that's why Megumi joined the team.

"I say no." Mom got out of the car finalizing her answer. I followed her.

"Mom. Please let me play with them." I pleaded.

"Nanami..." She sighed.

"Mom. Please. I'm only a third-year in middle school. If a high school baseball coach asks me to be on their team, its for a good reason." I now followed her into the house. My mom wasn't easy to sway but with persistence I knew I could change her mind.

"Even so, I'll only be playing and training with them during the season. When it comes to softball I'll still be playing travel ball. I can do it." She now lay her purse of the counter in the kitchen.

"I don't know Nanami. The boys play rough." She was starting to change her mind and I knew it.

"I've played rougher! Don't you remember that tournament where the first baseman tripped me? Or when I was playing short and the girl tackled me even though I wasn't in the way?" She slightly laughed at the thought, then returned to being serious.