Chapter 3

The next morning, I awoke to the chirping of birds and far away chattering of many people. The light of the sun leaked through the drawn curtains and illuminated my face, tinting my eyelids orange and making me squint.

Suddenly, the sound of the blinds being drawn back filled the room, and the bright sunlight of morning completely filled my vision.

I groaned and grimaced, not ready for the bright light of the sun. A man's deep chuckle came from somewhere near and I waved my hand.

“Five more minutes, Daddy...” I mumbled, still half asleep.

The voice chuckled again and this time it was closer. “Is that always what you say in the morning? Sorry to break it to you, but I'm not your daddy.”

My eyes snapped open and I sat up straight, finally realizing where I was. A handsome man stood at the end of the double bed and smirked at me. His arms were crossed and he was looking upon me with amusement, his blue eyes full of twinkling mischief.

“Although, I could be if you wanted me to,” he added with a wink on the end.

“Oh my God, I'm so sorry!” my cheeks flushed red and he shook his head.

“No, it's fine, I was just kidding.”

As I swung my legs over the edge of the bed, he turned and started walking towards the living room. I just noticed the smell of bacon and eggs wafting throughout the hotel suite and looked around for the cause of it.

“Oh, I called room service, by the way. Do you like bacon and eggs?”

I nodded silently and Gavin lifted up a tray of food. I picked up the only full plate and a fork, beginning to stuff my face quickly. I hadn't realized I was this hungry until I saw how delicious it all looked.

“Wow... you can really scarf that stuff down...” I looked up from the plate. He was looking at me with amazement, like I had become his idol or something equally as weird. I blushed and ducked my head away from his admiring eyes. I set my now empty plate on the coffee table and walked into the bathroom to change out of my pajamas.

It was the beginning of the festival, which meant that most of the town was going to be there. I needed to be dressed casually enough that I could walk around for hours, but I also needn't look like a slob, either.

After pulling on a decent pair of jeans and a loose blouse, I began packing up the things I left in heaps on the floor and putting them in my bag when I caught my reflection in the mirror. I looked myself in the eyes and noted the dark circles beneath them. Did I really not get that much sleep last night?

I sighed and cupped my hands around the rim of the sink, staring my reflection down, looking for any other imperfections that I might see. The real world is the same as high school, everyone cares about their appearance and what front they put up when in public. I didn't want anyone to look at me strangely because I looked half dead. I was going to be here a week, after all.

I knew that I hadn't gotten much sleep. It was awkward for me to stay in a room with someone I barely knew. I knew he wasn't sharing the same bed and that he was on the couch, far away from me. But the thought of someone in a room with me that I barely knew kind of freaked me out. I wouldn't be able to stay a week like this.

I cocked my head slightly tot he side and stared at myself questioningly, realizing that I didn't actually know how long I would be staying with this man. For all I knew, he could be leaving tomorrow. Maybe he was a wealthy business man who might need to suddenly return to work? I shared a sympathetic look with myself. I'd feel bad for his family, I thought.