23 | J A U N T

I STARED AT MYSELF IN the bathroom mirror and exhaled slowly. My fingers ran along my burgundy dress that stopped a little before my knees. I wiggled my bare toes as I wondered which pair of shoes I was going to wear. My lips matched the color of my dress and my hair decided to cooperate with me. I had managed to straighten it and it laid against my shoulders and the back of my neck. Eyeliner covered my eyelids and I was proud of the wings. For someone who had less than an hour to get ready, I looked like a pretty good specimen.

A crusty caterpillar that had finally turned into a beautiful butterfly.

After going through multiple pairs of shoes, I decided to go with my black pumps. I slid my feet into them and walked around a bit, making sure I was not going to fall over and break my neck. I kind of needed it. My black purse sat on my bed and I picked it up, leaving my room completely and heading for the kitchen table. Not having a single clue where we were going, I made sure I had everything I needed. I switched purses as soon as I got home and I was shocked when I realized I had everything. I honestly thought I would have forgotten my wallet.

Not today, Sydney.

I clutched my purse close to my side and walked out of the house, locking the door behind me. My heels clicked against the pavement as I made my way to my car. I got in without a single problem and took my heels off, tossing them on the passenger's seat along with my purse. I backed out of the driveway and took off. I was somewhat ready for tonight, even though I had no idea what was going to happen. Jillian was really sweet back at the herb shop and I somehow managed to hate her a little less. I still hated her, but not as much. I bit my bottom lip as I wondered if Greysen would be there. If he did not go, I would be alone with Jillian and Harry. If he did go, however, I would have someone to talk to.

Or yell at, since I was still mad at him for ditching me on the side of the road.

I tapped my fingers anxiously against the steering wheel and smiled when the upcoming red light turned green. I sped up a little bit, my smile widening and my heart leaping with joy. I was actually looking forward to having fun tonight. I needed to let loose and not be so uptight. I was only young for a certain amount of time and I did not want to waste it. I did not want to look back at my younger years when I was older and regret not having fun. I was not going to let my older self down.

Three cars sat in Harry's driveway when I arrived: his, Jillian's and Greysen's. I parked right behind Greysen's, trying my best not to block Harry's or Jillian's vehicle in. I turned the engine off and grabbed my belongings from the passenger's seat. My bare feet met the pavement and I refused to put my shoes back on until we met our unknown destination. Only God knew where we were going and he was not giving me any signs of where that might be. He wanted it to be a surprise, too. My breath hitched in my throat as I knocked on the door a couple times. I was still unable to breathe as I waited for someone to answer the door. If they found me passed out on the front porch, no worries, it would be fine. The door opened and Greysen looked me up and down.

Oxygen never felt so good.

"You look nice," he said, looking away from me.

"Thanks," I managed to smile as I took in his black bottoms and shoes with a white button down shirt. The top two buttons were unbuttoned and I was tempted to button one for him. "You do, too."

He nodded his head and stepped to the side, letting me enter. I walked inside of the house and the wooden floor was much colder than I remembered. Greysen closed the door and I turned around to face him.

"So, where are—" I started.

"Are we good?"

"I'm good. You're good. We're all good. Just a group of good people."