Chapter II: Like the Candy?

I'm going to be late, I thought to myself as I walked down the hall.

I thought of my English teacher, Mr. Wilkins, who didn't approve tardiness. I dreaded the lecture I would receive. It was because of this I decided to quicken my pace a bit more.

My mind began to be filled with things a usual high school student would think of. Homework, classwork, projects, and tests. Of course, as every student does with these thoughts, I ignored them. Instead, I thought of the phone call I received. No, not the call from earlier that morning.

The one from last night.

From my father.

Just when I was about to go to sleep, my phone rang. I rejected the call the moment I saw the caller ID. There was then this split moment of regret, knowing he would be furious that I had the guts to do this. I knew that he would make another attempt to call me again, to which I was right as the phone rang again. I stared at the phone and it rang and rang before finally leaving a voicemail.

I gritted my teeth. I felt like a coward. Maybe I was.

I had to hear it or the notifications will display I had an unopened voicemail. Then it'll be a constant, annoying reminder every time I even look at my phone. Of course there is the option of deleting it without ever listening to it. But it may be something important. It usually is if he actually took the time to call, rather than having his assistant doing it for him. At least once I hear it, it would be out of my mind although I knew that whether I hear it or not it would still be on my mind.

I went to the voicemail and pressed his number. I waited for a moment before I heard his voice. The stern voice I grew up knowing to obey. A cold, low voice people have said I have inherited.

"Bennett, I know you're ignoring my calls. We need to talk. You can't keep doing this. You know you made a mistake, even bringing her into this. You have to-"

I was cut off from my thoughts when someone crashed into me. I stumbled back from the force, while the other person fell onto the floor. The person lost their footing to have fallen, not expecting to crash into anyone, compared to me as I was able to keep my balance and remain standing

I look to see it was a girl. I didn't seem to recognize her, meaning she wasn't in any of my classes. She rubbed her head then fixed her glasses a bit.

She let out a groan. "Thanks so much."

I frowned at that, knowing sarcasm when I heard it. But I was as startled as anyone should be. I hesitated before taking a step towards her, worried if she was hurt.

She looked up to me and I saw in her eyes a flash of recognition, probably realizing who I was. Of course, not to sound conceited... People knew who I was, and being a new transfer student to such a school was no help. I expected her to do what everyone else does, gawking at me when, as Jordan would say, they can just take a picture and ask for me to sign it.

I tried to hold back any hint of dreariness, knowing the reaction I would receive from her, and just focused on concerning her own self. "Sorry, I didn't see you there," I apologized to her, suddenly regretting my wording as it made it sound like I was making an excuse.

I knew she might be mad of what I just said, but what I didn't expect was for her to glare at me. I blinked, not expecting to see a glare to match that of Declan's.

"Sure you didn't," she said in a tone I knew meant she didn't believe me.

I began my defense, "No really-" But was cut off.

"You know, just because people pretend I'm invisible, doesn't mean I'm going to act like it."

Invisible? She didn't look like it as I was looking right at her. And she certainly didn't act like it.