Chapter 5: Sleep

He walked home without Alex noticing a thing. That night, Aaron had a fitful sleep. He was a nervous wreck. He kept seeing himself becoming an Unwanted and Elena's face yelling at him. He really wanted to please Elena but despite his dreams he knew that Elena would never hurt anyone like that. She didn't have a mean bone in her body.

After a while Aaron gave up on sleep and turned and stared at his brother. The odds were terribly against him. Alex had tons of reporting's but Aaron still had hope that he might see his twin again. But then reminded himself that if he did, it would jeopardize the mission.

"What are you staring at?" Alex asked out of the blue.

Aaron flushed and cursed his stupidity of thinking Alex was asleep, "You,"

"Why?" Alex asked. Aaron didn't answer so he just groaned and turned over.

"No matter what happens tomorrow just know that I will never forget you and you will always be the best twin anyone could ask for." Aaron blurted. No matter how much training he had, he would probably always find it hard to keep things from Alex. Aaron had begged Elena to have permission to tell Alex everything. It had nearly killed him not being able to share the joy of magic with him. Elena said that it was ultimately up to Aaron to decide. She could only give him so much advice. Elena didn't like to tell people what they should or shouldn't do.

Alex looked at Aaron over his shoulder and Aaron could hear the uncertainty in his voice. "Even if I'm an Unwanted?"

"Yes," Aaron said, "Even if you are an Unwanted."

Alex sighed in relief and went back to sleep. Aaron pitied his brother because he thought that Unwanteds died. Alex would learn tomorrow, if he became an Unwanted, what Aaron had kept secret all these years.

Aaron turned his back on Alex and erased his twin's memory of their conversation.