Episode three: My best friend Hal

Barry's pov

I took a few minutes, trying to regain my breath after a long run. It wasn't too difficult for me, for I was quite skilled in track, best in the school to be exact, so this run never was more than an warm up. I looked behind, getting a good view of the empty track, it was about 4:30 in the morning and no one was at school yet, just the way I liked it. It was just me, the track and the beautiful morning breeze.

I chuckled to myself, there wasn't anything funny happening but I was happy, that's exactly what a good run could bring, happiness. Happiness was probably the only reason why I joined the track team. I've always been an amazing runner, being faster than the average person my age, won every race I competed in, but even that didn't matter. I don't know how to describe it, but the adrenaline rush I received from running was so awesome and euphoric, I swear it gave more pleasure than sex ever would. I wouldn't exactly know that however, for I had a tight handle on my v-card.

To my actual surprise, the fact I was an virgin was something most didn't expect. I had a feeling that people in this city didn't understand that homosexuals had actual standards. Ever since I came out, people asked me how many people I screwed or blew. This was quite surprising to me because I was only thirteen, however I only laughed and said I was still a virgin and would give up my virginity to the right person. I didn't blame anyone for this ignorance however, I was the only gay guy they actually knew, so all the stupid and crazy accusations were expected.

The only ones to not assume or judge my identity, were Diana and...Hal Jordan. I remembered the day after I came out, I had started crying from all the overwhelming nerves and questions thrown at me, which caused me to run into the bathroom. No one came after me, probably assuming I was masturbating or something along those lines. I thought that I was going to cry for hours, with no one ever caring but I was wrong. Hal had come into the bathroom shortly after myself, trying to act like he wasn't looking for me. He had looked in the mirror for a few minutes, trying to figure out what to say to me. I was in one of the stalls, watching the movement of his feet as he thought. I didn't know why but that alone made me feel better, I giggled slightly and revealed to Hal I was doing okay and he could leave. Hal didn't leave and just stayed by my side, until I really was feeling better. It was that day, that Hal really became my best friend, even if I wouldn't admit it.
N
"Are you going to continue running or just stand there?" I was forced out of my thoughts, turning around to see Hal smirking at me. "Oh you finally realized I was here, thought you were the fastest guy here."

I rolled my eyes and got out a small cloth, to wipe off my sweat. "Hal I may be really fast, but I don't have golden hearing, so when you're quieter than a mouse, I won't hear that." Hal simply shrugged and yawned, he always came to watch me run, I never had an idea why, it was way too early for him.

"So, you've really gotten close with martian lately." He said sitting on the bench. "He's not replacing me is he?" I rolled my eyes once more, however I couldn't help but smile.

     "Trust me Hal." I said putting on my red jacket. "No one can replace you." Hal didn't really understand that was an insult and smiled in appreciation. "Anyways, we have class in like four hours, why'd you come now?"

   "Just kind of felt like it." He said. "I also need help with my history homework and I know you'd be the perfect man for the job."

   "Of course." I chuckled. "Well I'm awake anyways, so why not." I was about to walk away from the track, when I heard Hal give a loud sigh. "What is it?" I asked looking at him, slightly concerned.

    "Barry, you're so good at track and school." He sighed and I frowned, feeling slightly guilty. "There's no way I could possibly out due you know!" My frown turned into a scowl and for the third time, I rolled my eyes.

    "Wow Hal wha-ah what are you doing!" Hal had no out of nowhere picked me up, holding me up like a bride. "What are you doing!" I felt my face become flustered with embarrassment.

   "If I can't be smarter or faster than you." He smirked walking to the finish line. "I can be stronger than you! Ready Bar?"

    "Ready for wha- Hal no!" Hal had started to run as fast as he could, with me holding onto his neck for dear life. Hal was fast but careless, if he wasn't careful I knew he could trip and we'd both get hurt. He laughed loudly, purposely pretending to trip, just so I would scream. I swore I was going to kill him once we stopped, this was not funny at all.

     "Hey Barry?" He smirked as we got closer to an hurtle. "You think I can jump that, while throwing you in the air?"

     My eyes widened in horror. "No you can't, and don't you fucking try!" Of course, Hal didn't listen to me and he attempted to jump up and throw me into the air. I closed my eyes tightly, knowing I was going to die, once I fell back down, I kept my eyes closed, not wanting to embrace the new world had entered.

    "Barry?" I heard Hal call my name, which was slightly confusing.  Did Hal kill himself along with me? Was the devil dying to play tricks on me? I decided to find out was to open my eyes and look around.  I slowly revealed my eyes to the surroundings, which was just Hal's face in mine. "Oh good, you listened to me."

    "Wait....I'm not dead?" I asked feeling relieved. "Your reckless and stupid idea actually worked?" Hal chuckled and hugged me, as I realized I was still in his arms. "Yes dumbass, you're alive and my plan did work."

    I took a few minutes to regain everything that had just happened, Hal was really an idiot but he was my best friend idiot. "I hate you." I laughed giving him a hug. "You are just so dumb. "

   "I know." He laughed hugging me back. "But that's why you're my best friend,  to balance out the stupidity."

    "Yup!" I nodded still laughing. We laughed in each other's arms for a little bit, before I heard someone cough. I turn to see Shierra Holl, looking at me.

      "Barry Allen? Hal Jordan?" She asked.

        "Yeah?" Hal and I asked in unison.

         "We need to talk."