Chapter 2

The air has gotten colder the more we progressed. We had left Pottsfield a few minutes ago. The strange pumpkin head-thing had tried to convince me to do work getting the civilians free. Heh, nope!

He did give us some information, though. The blue kid flew right in the direction we are headed now after he froze the village. He had white blond hair and a metal right arm. That thing also said when he froze everyone, he was laughing, but crying at the same time.

"Bill?" I hummed and averted my gaze slightly towards Pine Tree. "When we find him, what are you going to do? You don't have your powers when in my body."

"Isn't it obvious, Pine Tree?" He gave me a confused look at first, but then looked at me in shock.

"You wouldn't!" I shrugged my shoulders and smirked, looking back at the trail. "You're going to leave my body and put him in the Mindscape to kill him?!"

"Well, what else am I supposed to do, huh?"

He floated in front of me, stopping me. "Maybe in a way that doesn't get anyone killed?"

I thought about it. I don't have my powers, I'm in a child's body; I'm short, and I'm weak. Going against someone who can conjure ice probably isn't my best bet. With that in mind, I went right past him.

"Hey! Bill! Didn't you hear what I said?!" he yelled. "Bill!"

"Calm down Pine Tree I heard you the first time!"

He sighed and floated over next to me, staying by my side as I continued walking. It feels like that's all we've been doing for hours and hours. Just walking. Time seems slow here. We seem to fly by it rather than it flying by us. The sun takes longer to go down.

It got me thinking. What if we're not in the third dimension? At least not where Pine Tree's from. What if we're in another plane of existence? If so, then maybe I can spread my chaos here as well. Wouldn't be that hard since people around here seem clueless.

"Bill, did you see that?" I stopped, looking around only to find nothing. Kid must finally be losing his mind.

"I don't see anything, kid," I responded. He was looking into the forest beside us, a curious look on his face.

"Well I did," he retorted. "It looked like a boy about my age. With a blue cloak and...I think he had branches for antlers."

I shrugged and continued walking. He came up to me. "I know what I saw! He was looking right at us."

"Look, he doesn't matter. For all we know he's just a lost kid. Right now all I care about is finding this icicle of a kid," I explained, not even turning to face him.

"So, when we find him, what are you going to do?" I thought for a moment. I can't fight him, not with his powers. I could try a more passive approach. Not really my thing, but it's better than anything else.

"I'll try talking to him. Maybe he'll agree to leave us alone. If not, then perhaps he has a weakness of some sort." Pine Tree seemed to like that idea better.

He stayed closer to me after seeing that boy in the forest. Now, I may not really care about his mental stability since I've basically shattered him in the past. But that was the thing. Since that summer, he doesn't react that way to weird things anymore. And whatever he saw is putting him on edge. If he's so frightened of this...kid, then something must be wrong with him. Him as in both Pine Tree and the kid he saw.

After a little while we started seeing ice on the ground, littering the edge of the trail. "We're getting close," I concluded aloud. Pine Tree nodded and continued along-side me.

Soon enough we reached a clearing. It was covered in snow and shards of ice stood tall from the ground. We heard laughter the closer and closer we got. It was high-pitched and crackly, like his voice was shattered glass. A huge gush of wind and snow blew out from around the trees, creating another pile of ice. Cautiously, we went closer and hid behind a tree.

Pine Tree looked over, since no mortal can see him in the Mindscape. He observed whatever was occurring in front of him with curiosity. "What d'ya see, kid?" I whispered.

"He's blue. Literally all blue. He has a crown, a right metal arm, and...he's making the ice," he said, his gaze never faltering.

"Does he look dangerous?" Pine Tree looked at me with shock and frustration. Slapping his palm against his face he sighed heavily before turning back to me.

"I just told you what he looks like! Do you really think he sounds friendly?!"

I shrugged. "Well, he doesn't sound deadly," I said, getting a groan from Pine Tree.

Holding my arms out to my side, I walked out from behind the tree over towards the ice kid. Pine Tree groaned, facepalming himself again.

"BILL!" he yelled but I just ignored him and continued walking.

I got up to the kid. The sound of my footsteps on the snow got his attention, making him turn to face me. His face was really pale; a little blue from the cold. Long blonde, almost white, hair came from his white bear hat, and seemed a bit thin. His lips curled into a smile, showing a few of his missing teeth. His eyes were blue, the iris a darker shade from the sclera.

He just laughed a bit in an insane manner. "Oh! Another friend! Come to join my kingdom of ice and frost?" His breath became ice as he spoke. He brought up his hands, conjuring the ice with his silly little magic.

"Eh, I dunno kid. Seems pretty irrelevant to me," I said. Pine Tree was shouting profanities at me, yelling at me to stop and just run back.

We both just stood there, waiting for one of is to do something. He started tearing up a bit, but still kept on smiling. Something was off about him. I couldn't quite put my finger on it, but I knew something was up with this kid.

He looked away for a moment, grasping the crown. He was whispering something but I couldn't tell what it was. The smile dropped, and the tears started falling down his cheeks.

Turning back towards me, he started levitating and summoned shards of ice. "If you're not here to join me, then you're here to die!"

He started coming at me with his blizzards and ice. I jumped out of the way, evading his hits and blows. Tripping on a piece of ice, I fell to the ground. The kid stood above me, his hand glowing blue and ice coming from his fingertips.

"I'm really sorry," he whispered.

Just as he was about to stab me in the neck, a large branch shot out the ground and broke the shard. "What the-?!"

Additional footsteps could be heard on the snow. We looked over and saw another boy in a blue cloak and red coned hat. His skin was deathly pale and he had branches protruding from the sides of his head like antlers. Cold eyes of blue, yellow, and red glared at us, seeming to stare right into our souls. Well, except for me because I don't have much of a soul.

"What do you think you two are doing in the Unknown?"