chapter 14

It was the sunlight that woke emily up.

It streamed through the sheer curtains and warmed her bare shoulders. Stirred by the sudden warmth, emily ran her tired fingers across the comforter. The texture was soft, fleece, and it was foreign enough to make her blink her eyes open.

The first thing emily noticed was that this was not her bed.

Her bed was certainly not king sized, and did not have a dozen pillows available to cushion her head. Finally focusing her eyes, emily sat up. Looking around she realized that this room was too big to be her room.

As a matter of fact, the room was the size of an entire floor and held the design of modern loft, detailed in white and gold. Aside from the sleeping area, there was an adjacent living room set, and a very large bathroom.

emily was in alison's room.

She was in alison's bed.

Running a hand through her hair, emily glanced over and her face softened at the sight.

There was alison, sitting upright in a gold lounger chair, her head lolled over as she slept.

emily stared at alison, before glancing down at herself. Instead of being in the same dirty and naked state she had been in the playroom, emily had been cleaned and dressed in a white silk gown. emily concluded that alison must have carried her from the playroom the night before and put her in here.

That thought made emily breathless.

alison found emily. She found emily, cleaned her up, dressed her, and let her sleep in her bed. And instead of resting comfortably in her own bed, or any other bed in the house for that matter, alison chose to sleep uncomfortably in the chair next to emily.

She took care of me.

emily bit her lip, and rubbed the goose bumps on her arm at the thought.

"A...alison?"

emily's soft voice caused alison to stir from her slumber, her eyes opening slowly and attempting to focus. When they finally did, alison seemed to perk up and straightened her posture slowly.

"You're awake," alison croaked, trying to clear her throat and emily offered her a small smile.

"Yeah," emily looked around the room, "Is this...um...this is your room?"

Real smooth.

alison scooted to the edge of her chair slowly, glancing around the large space. "Oh, yes. I...I um, I wanted you to be able to rest comfortably, and I just – I just thought you'd be more comfortable in here...is that alright?"

emily swallowed, watching alison's eyes flicker as she explained nervously. It was off-putting to see the woman so anxious.