day two // indianapolis, indiana

Behind every untrusting girl is a boy who made her that way.

"So," Josh balled up a napkin in his hands. They stopped at taco bell for lunch, and well, breakfast and dinner. They were sitting in the parking lot in the car. "What are you doing at Stanford?"

"I wanna study medical biology." Sonny replied, taking a sip of their shared red bull.

"That's where we met," Josh smiled. "Sophomore biology."

"Oh yeah," Sonny laughed at the memories. "And you failed everything having to do with cellular respiration so Miss Malone paired me with you."

"That was when you had your pony tail and glasses," Josh reminded her. "But then you started wearing contacts and letting me dye your hair."

Sonny sighed and shook her head.

"What?" Josh asked.

"That just seems like such a long time ago," she told him. "When my dads yelled at me for coming home at two in the morning with purple tips and an infected diy tattoo."

"Oh my god the tattoos!" Josh got excited. "Didn't they make you get it removed?"

"No," she shook her head. "They wanted it to be a constant reminder of my mistakes."

Josh lifted his sleeve up, revealing the tattoo that Sonny did on him. "I don't regret this one bit." Her initials, skn (Sonny Katherine Nichols), where tattooed into a terribly shaped heart on his upper bicep.

"You will when your wife asks you who it is." Sonny lifted up her shirt a bit, revealing a slightly larger heart with his initials, jwd, imbedded into her skin. It was right under the wire of her bra. "And I'll regret when my husband does."

"Can I um," Josh slowly moved his hand towards her. He didn't want to touch her without asking, which was different for him.

Sonny nodded as she looked down and watched Josh trace the heart with him thumb.

"Are you gonna remove it?" He asked, secretly hoping that she would say no.

Sonny shook her head as she pulled her shirt down. "Too painful and expensive. Having your name on my body to see everyday is bad, but I don't have the resources to remove it."

"Remember when Miss Malone assigned us that genetics project? With the punnet squares?"

"Mhm," Sonny nodded. "And I had to be excused from it because of my adoption."

"Yeah," Josh nodded. "You didn't know their um.."

"Alleles."

"Right," Josh nodded. "And she wonders why I failed that class."

"You sat next to me during the final." Sonny told him.

"But I'm honest."

"See, that's not even honest." Sonny pointed out. "Remember when we used to sneak out?"

"Some of it," Sonny replied. "Other times I was too drunk."

"That's what I mean by a carefree Sonny."

"A drunk one with dead brain cells?"

"No," Josh shook his head. "When you would take that tight pony tail out. Put on that pretty red lipstick just so it was obvious that we were making out."

"And that one time you went home and your mom asked why there was red all down your neck." Sonny laughed.

"I had to scrub it with the Ajax soap." Josh recalled. "And then my mom took a tooth brush and soaked it with the shit and scrubbed my mouth after she found out what we did because she said it was a sin at my age."

"You did a lot of things that were considered sin." Sonny replied.

"Come on Sonny," Josh tugged on his girlfriend's hand, pulling her into traffic. "It's fun!"

"Josh!" She cried as they ran through, receiving honks from angry drivers. "You're so stupid!"

Josh, who was running as quick as he could, was too fast for Sonny to keep up with. Her hand slipped from his, and the last thing he heard before reaching the side walk was multiple honks, followed by a scream from Sonny.

"So we're just stopping here?" Josh asked as Sonny pulled into the lot of a motel.

"Do you have a better plan? Or money for a motel?" Sonny looked at him as she unbuckled her seatbelt.

Josh didn't respond. Instead, he climbed from the passengers seat to the back of the van.

Sonny glimpsed at Josh through the rear view mirror. "What are you doing?"

Josh grabbed one of two pillows and tucked it under his head, then covered up with one of the blankets. "Going to sleep. What about you?"

"Well I was gonna lay back there, but it seems that you've claimed it already." Sonny reclined her seat a bit.

Josh opened his arms and looked up at her. "You can join me if you want,"

Sonny scoffed lightly and pulled her feet up onto her seat, pulling her blanket over herself. "I think I'll stay up here."

"Is that even comfortable?" He leaned up with his elbows to get a look at how Sonny was positioned. "The steering wheel is digging into your knees and you aren't even laying down."

"It's definitely not comfortable, but it's better than laying back there with you," she shivered as she pulled her blanket up a little higher. It may have been summer, but it was still cold outside, and Sonny was basically freezing her ass off.

"It's warmer back here too," he informed. "I'm also a pretty good cuddler, according to you."

Sonny scoffed again at his comment. "Go to sleep, Josh," she told him.

Sonny listened to Josh's soft snores from the drivers seat. She missed sleeping with him, even if the relationship between them was toxic.

He wasn't wrong about the cuddling thing either. She started recalling their cuddle sessions. She would go to his house purely just to lay in his arms and obtain his body heat. Josh's arms were always so inviting. He always hugged tight. He was always the cuddler rather than cuddlee. Sonny was always comfortable in his arms. He always kissed the top of her head and held her hand. He was perfect when it came to cuddling.

The memory was enough to persuade Sonny. She climbed out of her seat and into the back with Josh.

She hesitated to lay down when she heard his groggy voice. "Sonny?"

Instead of answering, Sonny simply laid down next to him. She pressed her back against his front as josh brought his arms around her torso. He's right, Sonny thought. It's warmer back here. With him. She slipped her fingers in between his on the hand that rested on her stomach after pulling his blanket over herself, sharing the warmth.

Josh sighed happily as he made sure they were as close as possible, tightening his grip around her.

He pressed a small kiss to the back of her head before they fell asleep together, cuddling, for the first time in what seemed like years.