(30) Face to Face

"This isn't how I pictured our reunion." Nike sways from side to side unsteady. I'm not sure if he's unstable from my actions or because he's sickly.

"I can honestly say I pictured it a little differently too."

I pictured a gun in my hand. Oh well I think I made my point.

"This is the girl you've been telling me about?"

I now notice the other person standing in the room with us. He has shaggy grey hair but looks around the same age as us.

"Why do you dye your hair grey?" I ask and point to my own. He looks like he wasn't expecting this question and shrugs it off.

"Why don't you dye your brown hair grey?" He asks instead.

I want to punch him.

"Why haven't you visited me?" Nike steps in before I can come up with a snarky reply.

"Why are we ignoring the fact that she threw a knife at you!!!?" Grey Hair shouts flailing both arms in the air.

"Why do you think? You broke my heart and left me to pick up the pieces alone." I spit. Nike looks hurt by what I just said but I don't care. I'm always the one getting hurt it's time he was on the receiving end.

"I didn't want to leave you-" Nike bursts into a coughing fit. I wait for it to pass but it lasts a long time.

"You okay man?" Nike's friend offers assistance.

"I'm okay." Nike rasps. "Trinity, I did what I had to do. Your father gave me the chance to get the help I needed and I took it. I wanted to get better. Can you honestly blame me for being so selfish!?! I wanted to live."

In all honestly I want to tell Nike that I understand but at the same time I'm stubborn and don't like being wrong. Plus he left me! Betrayal is a hard pill to swallow and it makes it hard to trust people. It makes it especially hard to trust Nike. So yeah, I can blame him for wanting to live. It's a tough world kid, no one said life was fair.

"And look how that turned out for you." I say harshly.

Okay that was really mean. I SUCK!

"She's not how I pictured her." Grey says again.

"Well a lot changes when you're constantly struggling to survive. Nike, you should know all about that." I sneer.

I really need to close my mouth!

"I left you because I needed treatment and yes it hasn't worked out for me. Cut me some slack here; I'm dying!" His sunken eyes bore into mine. He's desperate to put this all behind him. I look away for fear that I might cry. I never cry. Okay so that's a lie I always cry and when I cry, I cry A LOT.

"I'm sorry. There are you happy? If I tell you I forgive you will you just leave!?!"

"You need an attitude adjustment!" Grey walks towards me like he's going to grab me.

"Touch me and you're dead!" I spit. My threat doesn't stop him from getting closer to me. I now notice how much taller he is than me.

"I highly doubt you could kill me." He towers over me trying to intimidate me.

"Try me giant." I edge him on, wanting to hurt him.

"Dillan stop she really will hurt you." Nike tries his best to save his friend's life.

"This little thing? Nah man she can't do anyth-" his voice cuts off and he drops to the floor groaning. I kicked him in his man crotch. I really need to stop doing that to people.

"You bitc-"

"Nah ah ah!" I wave my finger in the air. "No language."

"Dil, you okay?" Nike asks keeping his distance.

"Does it look like I'm okay!" Dillan, now officially known as Grey yells with his face to the floor.

"We warned you." Nike and I say at the same time. I take this time to fully look at Nike. He's pale, like really pale and he's skinny. His bright blond hair is now a dirty color but his blue eyes are still the same but sad and lifeless.

"Please get out of my house." I ask them both. I would say I was pleading but I don't like to sound weak. "I really don't want to deal with you right now."

"Then when do you want to deal with me!?! I don't know if you've heard or not, but I don't have much time left!" Nike falters but steadies himself.

"Why aren't you in a hospital?" I ask casually, not like I actually care.

"Because you wouldn't visit me if I was in one and I knew I'd have to come see you myself because you procrastinate!"

I can't argue with him there. I do procrastinate.

Suddenly there is a creeking in the floorboards. I drop to the ground on instinct and drag Nike down with me. I don't have to push Grey to the ground considering he's still there nursing his family jewels.

"Trinity?"

"Shh." I tell Nike to stay on the floor as I pull the knife I'd thrown at him previously out of the wall. I grab Grey and drag him behind the counter where Nike is.

"Nobody make a sound." I whisper. My expression must have been pretty desperate because both boys shut up. Even Grey's whining ceases.

The footsteps continue. They were slow at first and it felt like time was dragging on. The steps become more solid and the sound becomes clearer. They're in the kitchen. I hear the cocking of a gun and that's when I spring into action. I throw the knife at the first guy I see and it lands straight in his shoulder. He screams from pain and clutches his now useless arm. Another man dressed in all black goes to cock his gun but I'm too fast. I kick it out of his hand and slam his face onto my elevated knee. I feel a crack in his nose before he falls off of me in pain. The man I stabbed wraps his one good arm around me trying to hold me still. Even with one arm he's strong! I do the only thing I can think of and stomp on his foot. He loosens his grip on me in surprise and I use it to my advantage. I elbow the man and he lets go of me completely. I then grab him by his bad arm and use my weight to fling his body over mine and onto the guy with the broken nose.

"Let's go!!!" I yell and grab both of the guy's hands. They're numb with shock but their legs are still able to function which I'm thankful for. I push them out the back door first and snatch my big blue duffle bag from the couch.

"Get in my car!" I shout.

"She just stabbed a dude!" Grey can't comprehend my actions.

They do as I ask and soon we speed away from the goons. I'm still panting from adrenaline and shaking from combat. I'm covered in blood that's not mine well, at least, I think it isn't mine. The car is filled with silence until Grey can't take it any longer.

"What the hell just happened back there!" He demands waiting for an answer.

"Trinity? What happened while I was gone." Nike places a hand on my arm but I shove it away trying to focus on the road.

"You stabbed a dude!!" Grey continues to panic.

"What can I say? Shit hit the fan."