Chapter Seventy-One

Chapter Seventy-One

The morning after their wedding, Blake and Ana Griffin rolled out of bed and took an Uber to the airport with two weeks of luggage. Ana felt even worse this morning than she had the night before—thank you, biology—so instead of even attempting to dress up, she pulled on one of Blake's flannel shirts over a sports bra, a pair of exercise leggings and some flats.

The flight was long but comfortable. Blake didn't mind letting her curl up into his side, whine and bitch about her cramps, and eventually fall asleep in the comfort of his side. He just wrapped his left arm around her (because she always got the window seat) and stroked her back as she slept.

Thinking about their wedding the previous day brought a smile to his face. You never really know how something so important is going to go until it's happened and there's nothing you can do to change it.

Ana had been beautiful. More stunning than he could've ever imagined even in the most vivid of his dreams. The white making her skin look even more like delicate caramel. Her long brown hair, braided and curled with the beautiful hair piece and the veil. The simple makeup that accented her aquamarine eyes. The cross necklace he'd bought to replace the one Ford had broken. Her promise ring on her right hand, he engagement ring on the left.

Blake didn't really know what he had expected, the morning after. If everything between them was going to feel different, or if it was going to feel the same. Was anything going to change, or was everything going to change? He and Ana had been together for nearly sixteen months. They'd been engaged since October, and living together for half of the time since. They'd worked out a system at his house—their house—that worked for them. They knew one another.

Liliana Marie Griffin.

Somehow, Blake loved the sound of that more and more each time he heard it.

Blake didn't sleep on the flight. He didn't surf his phone or the wifi included on the flight. Instead, he just relaxed. They'd had a pretty hectic last few of weeks. It would be nice to relax for the next couple, and simply be a newlywed couple. Of course, they couldn't do all that entailed because Mother Nature would not be denied.

He wasn't going to sit there and say he hadn't had more than a fair share of fantasies about his and Ana's wedding night. It usually started with him kissing her against the wall of their bedroom and ended with him rocking her mind in every way imaginable on the bed. He'd craved Ana for months, since before they'd gotten serious. He still respected her choice to wait til she was married to have sex with him. At least, sex in the sense that really mattered—him laying her down in bed, pushing into her, bringing her pleasure she'd yet to experience.

But given their luck, it wasn't at all surprising that she'd started her period the day of their wedding. Because he wasn't so caught up on the sex aspect of their marriage, but instead on their emotional connection, he was able to laugh about the irony of it all. And besides, given how exhausted the two of them had been last night? His performance wouldn't have lived up to either of their expectations.

He was going to make their first time special. More meaningful than anything he'd ever done, because his wife deserved it.

Alaska was cold. And he didn't much like it. Even with it being the dead of summer and the warmest month of Anchorage's year, he was just so damn lucky to land during a cold front. When he signed the dotted line and took the keys from the vehicle rental service at the airport, the man smiled at him ruefully.

"I would offer you encouragement," he said. "But this cold front is supposed to last through the end of the week."

"Thanks," Blake said.