Chapter Twenty-One

Chapter Twenty-One

Ana didn’t like being immobile. And she hated not being at work. She had sworn off a damn wheelchair, but she couldn’t exactly balance on her crutches well enough to be steady while decorating her cakes. It was extremely difficult to be practically bed ridden at her apartment, even if she had two dogs and a cat laying in bed with her to keep her company.

Katherine was the first one, outside of Blake, to find the ring. She stopped by Monday morning devoid of kids. Her curriculum had ended. The kids were at Jonathan and Diana’s for a day of swimming and tacos, and Katherine was free to do as she pleased. And given the recent events, the eldest Michaels daughter found herself at her sister’s bedside…sort of. She was actually sitting cross legged in bed with Ana, but still.

“Oh my gosh! Is that a ring? What the hell happened last night?” Katherine demanded, reaching for her sister’s left hand.

“It’s a promise ring,” Ana said sheepishly. Katherine inspected the ring closely, taking in the sparkling red and blue stones as well as the beautiful diamond in the middle of the heart. “It has ‘A Promise is Forever’ engraved on the inside with Blake’s name too.”

“And the red and blue is for the Clippers?” Kat asked. There honestly wasn’t much else it could be. Ana nodded. “Damn. And what’s the promise? To wait?”

“Kind of,” Ana said. Chaney, who Blake had left this morning when he’d left to work out and have practice, had wiggled his way behind Ana into the mound of pillows there. She ran her hand over his ears with affection as she looked at her sister. “He said he needs to grow up still, and that he wanted everything to be perfect. But he said he would never stop loving me. It was the best feeling in the world.”

“You know what I’ve always told you about love. Not even sex is better.”

“Kat!” Ana exclaimed with a giggle.

“I’m only joking a little bit too, young lady. You’ve got yourself a good one babe. Don’t let him go.”

“I wasn’t planning on it.” Ana looked down at the ring, a small smile curving the corners of her mouth. “I want to be with him for a really long time.”

“So you want to marry him?”

Ana looked at her sister. Kat and Jordan had met in college, during her freshman year. He was a year older in age, but probably a decade older in personality. Jordan was a very serious, hardnosed, dedicated man. He was a no nonsense, strictly business type of guy. Kat, goodness, was the exact opposite. She partied in college. Got drunk more than once, may have flashed a party once, and lost her phone twice, but she never did anything dangerous.

Her meeting Jordan was the best thing for her, but one of the worst things for him at the time. Dating Katherine had been a handful. Jordan had had no idea what he was getting himself into until it was too late. He was in too deep when he realized just how much he was going to have to watch the love of his life and make sure she didn’t do anything stupid. By no means was Kat a bad kid, but she could slip up from time to time. And to be completely honest, she had needed a handler more than she needed a husband in college. She was lucky to meet a guy who was more than willing to do both.

It had taken Jordan two and a half months to finally get Katherine to consider marriage during his senior year, and when he proposed—in front of his entire team, family, hers, and the entire effing UCLA football stadium on Senior Day—Katherine had finally conceded and taken the ring.

“Is it too early?” Ana asked.

“For me, I would say hell yes. You saw how I was in school. I got scared when Jordan talked about doing something a month in advance. Commitment scared the shit out of me. I wasn’t ready to be a wife, or a mom, or answer to him, or take care of him. It didn’t compute to me that I was already doing that. We lived together for a year before he proposed, and I already practically acted like a wife without the ring and the last name. But making it official sounded like a trap to me.