lxxvii

~Luke~

Today. We agreed on going to the ice cream shop in the middle town.

Why isn't she answering? I was supposed to call her to tell her the time. Maybe she was in the bathroom, yeah that's probably where. I'll just go to the place and keep trying.

"Hayden! I'm heading out, I'll be back later," I yell down the hall at my roommate. I walk down the stairs and grab my keys.

"Wait don't go downtown, there was a huge fire at some tech support place. It's a complete mess." He yelled back at me.

Fire. The Tech Support place on fire. No, it can't be on fire Jade is there. The building is not crumbling to the ground. There is not smoke in the sky. There is not ash raining down. It can't. I won't believe it.

"Woah there, Luke. Sit down." Hayden guides me to a chair and forces me to sit. I start breathing heavier, my heart rate going through the roof. I put my head in my hands. No, no, no, no, no....

A glass is shoved in my face. "Drink this," Hayden gives me the glass and sits across from me. "It'll be alright, have you called her cell?"

I sit up and dig in my pockets for my phone. How could I forget about cell phones!

I dial her number and pray she'll answer.

"The number you tried to reach is unavailable"

I stand up and and throw my phone across the room. I don't understand why does the bad stuff always happen to me?

"Woah there tiger. Look would it help if I drove you to the hospital to see if she's there?" Hayden says while handing me my now cracked phone.

"Yeah" I mumble and take the phone. I follow him to his car and the whole ride to the hospital is silent other than me telling him to get there faster. He pulls up at the building and I open the door and get out before he comes to a complete stop.

I run to the front desk, "Hi, I'm looking for a girl named Jade Linder? She was in the building that burnt down."

"Take a seat and I'll help you as soon as I can." The lady at the desks says and answers the ringing phone.

I take a seat in an old plastic chair and put my head in my hands. I hate hospitals, from the smell, to the white brightness of the decor. Last time I came to this hospital, my brother was dying.

My butt started to vibrate and I quickly pulled out my phone. One crack went straight through the name so I couldn't see who was calling.

"Hello?"

"Hello, this is Tech Support, what seems to be the problem"

"Jade." Hearing her voice, I let out a huge sigh of relief. "Are you okay? Are you hurt? I heard about the fire. Where are you? Please tell me your ok-"

"Luke, lookup"

I raise my head and see a beautiful girl with chocolate brown hair a little past her shoulder. Her light grey shirt is covered in ash and had a rip gong down the side. Her black jeans had white ash spots and her black combat boots are untied and have some burn marks on them. Her eyes are a light shade of jade green, like her name suggest. She has a light olive tone skin and high cheekbones. All and all she was absolutely beautiful.

I stood up and wrapped my arms around her. She was slightly smaller than me, like only a inch or two. She smelled like smoke, but I didn't care. "I thought you died" I mumble into her hair.

"It take a lot more than a fire to kill me"

"Are you okay?" I pull back, but I keep my hands on her waist. A white bandage covers her wrist and a brace is wrapped around her ankle.