Prolouge

Copyright © AntisocialSloth 2013

I'M STILL EDITING THIS STORY. There's going to be a few parts where it gets a little confusing and that's because I only edited part of it. So if you do decide to read this, please bare with me.

-/-/-/-:-/

"Today's the day," Margaret, the maid, said while she helped me into my navy blue blazer that was mandatory to wear according to St. Christopher Lakeland Academy's dress code. The worn material was the same one I've had since the sixth grade. I swayed around in the once baggy skirt that used to stop at my knees, but as the years went on it finally came up just above my knees.

"I know," I sighed whilst pulling up the black stockings up to my legs. "I will miss you so much." I said. I blinked back my tears and pulled her into a light hug. Margaret has been with me since the day I was born. She covered for me, watched my back and basically took care of me for the past two years. She was going to retire, and it was a little heart breaking for me to know that I would probably never see her again.

"I'll miss you too. Now go to school. You have a long day ahead of you," she said giving me a granola bar and ushering me out of the door of the tattered apartment.

That day was my first day back to school from summer break, and I was already going to be late. It amazed me how those three months of summer seemed like they lasted for years. I guess time goes by slower when you're anxiously waiting for something to happen.

I was finally going to move back back home with my parents today after they completely cut me off for two years. I like to refer to that time period as the Dark Age.

The point of sending me out on my own was so that I could understand how people without the same privileges as my siblings and I had to live and to show me how I would end up if I didn't think seriously of my future. It was also to keep me down to earth. After all, being the daughter of billionaires isn't always sunshine and rainbows, like the weather here in L.A near spring. The power that you have over other people can go to your head. I of all people should know. I guess you can say that I'm lucky for having two parents that actually care about the person I will become.

It was always part of the plan to be cut off during first two years of college. It was a family tradition that started on my mother's side of the family.

Instead I had to start in my sophomore year because of the way I acted when my brother, Mathew Hastings, left. He's the eldest of the three Hastings kids. My parents wanted him to set a good example for my sister and me, which involved huge changes to his future.

All I know is that they pushed him too far, and one day he decided that he had enough o my parents' dictatorship of his life, so he left. It was like leaving for college and visiting on holidays. It was nothing like that. He packed on suit case and just...left without saying goodbye. We didn't know where he was going or if he'd every be back.

My brother and I were close. He was my rock, the shoulder I could cry on when I was at my weakest. But he left me. Not just me, but my little sister, Melissa, too.

When he left, I didn't know what to do. I had so much going on and I was accustomed to his guidance, and constant reassurance. I was completely lost. That drove me to the last thing I would even think about doing. I'd always been a people pleaser, so it came as a shock when I declared war against my parents. They said left so I went right thus the beginning of the Year of the Warring. It was me against the world. I blamed the cause of Mathew leaving on my parents, but during that time period I also managed to push out the people that I care about the most.

I did a lot of things that I'm no longer proud of just to make them upset. I couldn't stay off of the news and I made the headlines to almost every news paper. They'd often said things like 'Hastings Gone Wild' or 'Wild Child Hastings Can't Be Tamed'. All of Los Angeles was talking about the corybantic Melanie Hastings and wondered what she would do next. I loved the attention.