Chapter 9

Chapter 9

I was fiddling with a tricky graphic but I couldn't concentrate. There was a vague feeling niggling at the back of my brain. I couldn't quite put my finger on it, but the feeling that something wasn't right was distracting me. I let my mind go blank, hoping that whatever was there would either go away or at least become concrete so I could take care of it.

I leaned back in my chair and closed my eyes. Sleep immediately took over. I felt warm and my mind drifted into places unknown. I jerked myself back up in my chair and decided I'd better go get a soda.

The minute I walked into the deli, it came to me. Scott was right. By staying at the paper I was putting Tom at risk. There would be talk that his friendship with me displayed bad judgment.

I bought my soda and went back to work. I sat at my desk a few minutes thinking about my options. When it came down to it, I had no options. I looked at Meg. "I'm quitting the paper." She started to say something but I interrupted her. "Don't make this harder than it needs to be. Scott's got one thing straight; it's not good for you or Tom for me to be here."

"What are you talking about?" Meg asked. She was looking at me like I'd lost my mind.

"I shouldn't be here."

"Bree, I don't get this. Why would it matter?"

"Because people around here think I killed Vera. It's like you're harboring a fugitive or something. Our advertisers could start pulling out."

"Bree."

"No. I'm going to finish this paper and then you need to hire someone."

***

We went back to work, but the mood in the office was changed. Meg looked pained and God knows what kind of expression I had on my face.

"I'm going for a soda. Do you want anything?" Meg stood up and stretched.

"I was just down there. Sorry, I should have got you something."

"That's fine. I need to walk anyway."

I heard Meg banging down the stairs in her boots. I looked back to the ad I was creating and tried to concentrate. I reread my notes trying to remember what I'd agreed to do, trying to force my brain back into work mode.

"Bella Bree MacGowan."

I was hearing my full name a little too often these days. I looked up to see Lieutenant Brooks standing at my desk. "Sorry." I let out a sigh. "I didn't hear you come in. I'm sort of in the middle of something." This wasn't the time to explain the mechanics of layout to him. He wasn't smiling, and somehow I didn't think he much cared how inconvenienced I was by his presence.

"Bella Bree MacGowan," he repeated. "I am authorized to detain you on the suspicion of murdering Vera Post. Will you come with me please?" It wasn't a request.

Meg banged through the front door, then moved to her desk and set down her purse. "Can I help you?" she asked Brooks.

"He's arresting me, Meg."

"What!" She started to say something else but Brooks interrupted her.

"Please come with me, Ms. MacGowan. I understand that you are friendly with a number of officers at the barracks, therefore I will refrain from using handcuffs. But understand that if you try to avoid coming with me, I will use force. Is that clear?"

It was all too clear. My heart was pounding and my legs were shaking. I wondered if Tom or Steve knew what was happening. I wished one of them were here to help me. I heard Meg talking quickly into the phone. She was too quiet for me to hear what she was saying.