The Question

(Hello, my lovelies~! My hiatus is over and I'm back to fic writing! This one-shot collection probably won't be much longer, one more chapter next week. (Maybe two more...? Not likely though) I'll be updating Misfit Together by the end of the week, too. I have a very rough idea for another possible Devil fic to write eventually but I got into a new fandom a little while ago and I might try writing for that first so we'll see. Right. Ly's welcome back is over, time for some thoughts on the trashbird~)

She had never met him in person, nor had she met any of the other demons for that matter, but she had heard the stories.

Lucifer had been a highly regarded and revered archangel of the Heavens. What could possibly have possessed him to make him give up such a life to join King Satan in his army? That was the first of Crestia Bell's questions. When she heard the news that the great angel had fallen, she was shocked, of course. But then the rumours began to spread. Rumours that Lucifer was dangerous and could not be trusted, that he would do more harm than good. She rolled her eyes and scoffed at the whispers she overheard on the street and crossed another name of the list of heretics assigned to her.

What nonsense...

As far as Crestia was concerned, there was no time to waste on such frivolous things, not when she had a job to do. One that didn't allow for distractions.

It wasn't long until she learned the truth. Lucifer really had turned his back on Heaven and in the most despicable of ways, by becoming part of the demon army. And not just a part of it, but a general. That brought another question to mind: what could the demons possibly want with a former archangel? She shook the thought from her head and lifted her hood, slipping out to complete her next assassination mission.

Her concerns about General Lucifer became few and far between. To her, he was virtually indistinguishable from any other beast in the Devil's hordes. He may have stood out in terms of his physical appearance, but there was nothing especially noteworthy about him that she needed to worry herself with. She had nothing to do with him. Crestia's time was occupied with tracking down the humans on her hit list, not battling demons. The Hero could handle that on her own.

Sometimes, while she was wandering through the village, Crestia would hear people gossiping about this and that. Every now and then, something about Lucifer would crop up amidst those conversations. It was common knowledge by now that not too long ago, he had been responsible for an attack on the town where the Hero had grown up, and that it was this attack that started her on her path. Now, a war was waging on between the demons and the Church. Crestia was never directly involved in the action but it was inevitable that she would pick up information here and there. Still, it never did occur to her that in all of these stories, not a single detail about the individual demons themselves came up.

She took the handkerchief from Father Meyer and wiped the blood from her face. She had been getting too distracted lately.

The news came that General Lucifer had been killed by the Hero. There was a small celebration held by the clerics of the Church. No-one noticed Father Meyer's absence, not even Crestia. They never suspected a thing. Time went on, others were defeated, their king fled, the Hero pursued him. That was it. The questions about Lucifer disappeared from her mind. For a while.

She was told to follow them. She went to find Emilia the Hero and help her, to offer her a chance to restore her honour and to see to it that King Satan was taken care of once and for all. She knew that the men in the apartment next door, Sadao Maou and Shiro Ashiya, were in fact the demons Satan and Alciel. She was prepared for that, it was the reason she had chosen to move there.

What she was not prepared for, however, was finding someone else living there with them. And she certainly was not prepared for that person being Lucifer.

She quickly picked up on how he somehow returned and joined with Father Meyer against the Devil and the Hero, and how he returned to Satan's side in the end.

Once a demon, always a demon, as they say.

But he wasn't quite what she had expected. Well, none of them were, to be quite honest, but especially Lucifer. Now, there was a new question in her mind. What was she supposed to think of him? Was he a threat? He didn't seem like it. Not one bit. He was downright pathetic. But he wasn't exactly easy to overlook either. He was unpredictable and that could be dangerous. But she couldn't say anything, not directly. She was 'Suzuno Kamazuki' to them. She had to keep up the image of an average, innocent, unassuming Japanese woman.

There was something interesting about him, in a way. Interesting, yet unnerving. She knew so little about him. She understood so little about him. She wondered - was Hanzo Urushihara any different to Demon General Lucifer? And was Demon General Lucifer any different to Archangel Lucifer? How different? How had he adapted so easily to life on Earth? What was it about this world's culture that grabbed his attention? And was he really as arrogant and childish as he seemed, or was there something more to him?

She had so many questions.