Chapter Five

A.N. I'm finally able to start writing this book the way that I want to, and I'm literally so happy to be writing it again. I feel like everything that I have planned is gonna blow you guys away - or at least I'm hoping it will.

On a lighter note I've cast Danielle Campbell as the newest character, Evelyn Grimsby, Isaac's best frenemy.

Love you hunnies, xoxo, Clay.

"If you don't live your life, then who will?"

-Rihanna

Chapter Five

When I sat myself down at an empty table at lunch, I was suddenly bombarded by a brown-haired, plain looking girl I'd grown accustomed to invading my privacy the last few weeks.

"God, why am I even at university?" Evelyn sighed, as she sat down opposite me at lunch.

"Don't ask me, I don't even know why I'm here," I told her coldly, playing with the plate of food sitting on the table in front of me.

You could say that Evelyn Grimsby was the closest person I had to a friend at uni, although I made a note to keep her at arm's length. I met her the first week of uni - the only time in the semester where you could party super hard with zero fucks to give. No lectures or seminars or exams, just a week-long session of alcohol, drugs, sex, and embarrassing memories. In England, they call it Freshers' Week.

I'd shown up to an on-campus party, and found her plastered on the floor of an empty bedroom. Her hair was frizzed, her dress barely hanging off of her, and her underwear was hanging by her ankles. She couldn't even speak properly.

From what she was saying, I could make out where she was living - the same place as me. So I took her home, put her into my bed, and left her there with a bucket and a glass of water. The next day, she wandered out of my room and accused me of sexual harassment. Ever since then, we've been on-and-off frenemies.

The thing with Evelyn is that she was sly and secretive, and she had a big mouth. You could never be too sure of what her game was, or what she was thinking or saying about you behind your back. I knew I definitely couldn't trust her, but I was still friends with her. In a way, she reminded me of myself, and that wasn't necessarily a good thing.

"We all know why you came to uni, Isaac," she laughed, ripping the lid off of her bottle of orange juice. That was usually all she'd have for lunch - one of her new eccentric diets. She went on about it sometimes, but I tended to block her out a lot.

One of the best things about Evelyn was that she could just talk and talk nonstop, never really needing my input. So I could just sit there and she'd have no clue I'd zoned the fuck out fifteen minutes ago and gave no shits about half the crap she was saying. Since I came to university, she was one of the few people that I could actually bare to stand the company of, and even then, just barely.

"Oh, do you?" I stared at her curiously for a moment, waiting for her reply. "Why did I come to uni, then? Enlighten me."

"To fuck around, obviously," she said, a kind of matter-of-fact air surrounding her. She always liked to be right, but so did I, so we tended to clash sometimes. "I knew the first time I saw you, you like to fuck around."

"Maybe," I answered, not even really looking at her.

The sad truth was that people were slowly starting to bore me. Everyone in my life, apart from a few sparks here and there, just seemed so pointless and not worth the trouble. As I sat in the cafeteria and stared around, everything seemed crap and dull, like a grey nothingness had wiped away the faces of everyone in the room. The bodies and faces all around me were ones I didn't recognise, or didn't care to specifically remember.