Twenty-four

Sitting in a dim corner at the opposite end of the transport's rear compartment was Krom. Instant relief and unexpected joy filled Skylar at the sight of his lost companion.

"Krom!" he cried, "where did you come from? How did you get here? What happened to you?"

The questions spilled out of Skylar's mouth like water from a fountain. Krom held up his hand for Skylar to pause. A trace of a smile touched his lips. Evidently he was amused—if not pleased—by Skylar's concern.

"I am glad to see you, too, Skylar," he said. "As to what happened to me, suffice it to say that when I met with Lord Denovyn and learned of Morvath's presence in the capital house, I didn't dare return to you for fear that Morvath's spies would follow me. With Denovyn's aid I managed to stay hidden. But I simply couldn't risk rejoining you while Morvath remained in Arsolon."

"It is well, then, that we were caught," said Skylar. "Otherwise, we would have certainly left you. Lasseter fully intended to."

"As he should have. Would that Morvath had never set eyes on you and that the whole of you were safely journeying to Allega at this very moment. We'll have no cause for celebration until we're off this planet."

They reached the port within a few short minutes. Lasseter scouted out the area before deeming it safe for the companions to exit the transport. Attempting to appear inconspicuous, the companions casually filed out of the transport. Endrick took the lead, guiding the companions across a plaza busy with incoming and outgoing traffic, under a short covered walkway, and into the port's hangar.

By no means an expansive hangar, it housed but a dozen planet hoppers and just a few larger crafts.

They strode past the ranks of smaller ships, making their way toward the opposite side of the hangar. They soon came to the crafts built for speed and longer journeys through space. The first of those was a craft as black as a moonless night, with cockpit windows shaped like the slit eyes of a snake. Skylar had no doubt as to what master this ship served. Beside it, in stark contrast, sat the sleek, silver form of a ship that could only have been the Star Hawk. It bore majestic wings and a short hooked nose, just like a hawk's. It exuded confidence and prowess of flight. Skylar felt a thrill at having a chance to ride in such a craft.

But Endrick did not stop at the Star Hawk.

Puzzled, Skylar turned to Krom. "Is that not Lord Denovyn's ship?"

"I believe it is."

"Are we not boarding it, then?"

"Denovyn's offer was very generous. Endrick knows, however, that accepting will only bring more trouble for Denovyn. Lord Denovyn has already risked much for our sake—for your sake."

Disappointed, Skylar merely nodded. Flying in the Star Hawk might be grand, but he accepted the wisdom of this decision. Too many had already suffered for his sake.

They soon came to the ship Endrick had hired the night before. At the sight of it, Skylar's confidence fell. The Luna, as it was called, looked about as clunky and awkward as a flying moon. In size it was sufficient to carry a sizable load, but it looked less likely to reach its destination than the smallest planet hopper.

A broad-shouldered man with a large round gut sat on a stool near the shuttle's open hatch. Evidently he was the pilot. He recognized Endrick.

"I expected you an hour ago," he grumbled.

"Our apologies, Captain," said Endrick, sounding far from apologetic, "but some friends of ours threw us an unexpected farewell party."

All the more irritated, the captain of the Luna only grunted in reply.