Mother Earth

I turn around slowly, glaring at Arachne Alkaev with my jaw clenched. Jake stands at her side, along with several soldiers, but then they part, and I blink.

"Freya? Jo?" Neither girl responds, moving to stand on either side of Arachne with practised obedience. Their eyes are frighteningly blank, sucked of all human emotion, and they're dressed in identical black outfits. Freya's red hair, the only sight of colour on her, is in two innocent plaits that hang limply from her head, while Jo's hair, messy and wild, surrounds her face. They stare ahead like soldiers, fists clenched, unmoving.

"Freya! Freya, it's Brynn, see? Its me!" I go to step forward, but Peter grabs my arm, pulling me back.
"They're not themselves anymore." He warns me. My throat seizes up, and I pull away from him.
"They're still in there. They're still there." Hot, spiking anger burns the backs of my eyes. "What have you done to them, you bitch?"
Arachne smiles. "I simply broadened their minds. It's amazing what the exposure of real power can do." Her eyes drop to the sceptre, clutched in my hands. "But of course, you already know that."

"It'll destroy you- it'll destroy everyone." I warn, pulling it to my chest. "You can't seriously think that you can harness this thing."
"You already have." She responds. "All that destruction in just twelve seconds. It was intoxicating, wasn't it? To have the power of the universe in your hands. Why, you could do anything." Her voice is hypnotic, sweet, gentle waves of red washing over me. "Think of the abilities you'd have. You could do whatever you want, and I'd help you. Me and you, together. We want the same things, Nemesis. Come here and give me the sceptre."

The gem twinkles at me and I suck in a breath.
"And if I don't?"
Jake gives me a beautiful, beautiful smile, his eyes flickering over to Peter, and my stomach sinks.
"Don't you dare." Peter whispers. "Don't you dare go over there, you can't hulk out, you can't do anything-"
"Maybe you're underestimating me, spider-boy." I murmur, stepping away from him. And then, facing the others, I say louder. "And you'll let Peter go?"
"Of course we will." Arachne lies smoothly. "He'll be well taken care of." I take a step forward, my hand clenched around the sceptre as the soldier's guns raise. "I'm so glad you're making the correct decision." Two soldiers rush towards me with thick, black gloves, carrying a slender box between them. They rip the sceptre from my hands and push it into the box, snapping the lid shut.

Jake holds out his hand, and I take it, trying not to shudder as our skin touches. He twirls me close, and I turn my head quickly as a jolt of energy runs through my body, making my limbs tremble. Edward, you better be good at your job.

"I remember this." Arachne says, holding out my lipstick. I want to rush at her and snatch it from her fingers, but I know that I can't. Stay cool, just stay cool. "I slit the throat of an American senator with one of these at a ball. I had the most beautiful white dress on."
"Bet you looked like shit." Peter shouts from across the hallway.
I sigh, closing my eyes. One day, his mouth is going to get him into serious trouble. Then again, I'm not sure it can get more serious than this.
"The senator didn't think so." She smiles. "I was still a child, but he was enchanted."

I can picture it- a younger, Arachne Alkaev in a white dress, laughing as she spins around the ballroom with death in her hands and beauty in her smile. She's got such a beautiful smile. I suppose it helps, when it's the last thing you see before you die.
"Cool. Go and get your own." I spit. She flicks the blade out lazily and looks over at Peter, fuming with his fists clenched. Don't do anything stupid, bug boy, please.

"Look at me," Jake coos as another burst of energy wracks my body. I feel my back arch slightly as his hands run along my arms, muscle bursting against the back of my shirt. "Look at me, darling."
Anger begins to build behind my eyes, burning and familiar, a rage that I welcome with open arms. It courses through my blood, and my bones start to crack and shift as I roll my head up to look at him.