introduction

"You sit there in your heartache
Waiting for some beautiful boy to
Save you from your old ways
You play forgiveness
Watch him now, here he comes

He doesn't look a thing like Jesus
But he talks like a gentleman
Like you imagined when you were young."

The familiar song lyrics blared through the speakers in his car, and all of a sudden I was back on Long Island, driving to the beach with my dad as we sang along to one of his favorite songs.

"The Killers," I said quietly.

"You know them?" he asked, looking over at me as we were stopped at a red light.

His thick accent was perfectly in contrast with the music blasting through the speakers. The song was old and familiar, almost comforting to me. But his voice, however, was the complete opposite. It was still new to me, and my body still manages to shiver a little with each word that rolls off his perfect lips. The plain idea of him had me on the edge of my seat in a combination of both fear and excitement. And I liked it.

"My dad," I said shyly.

He grinned at me before his focus returned to the road, stepping on the gas as the light turned green.

"We're burning down the highway skyline
On the back of a hurricane that started turning
When you were young
When you were young"

I watched the muscles in his neck flex as he sang along, the crease between his eyebrows becoming more and more prominent as he focused on the road ahead. As hard as I tried, I couldn't prevent the small smile from creeping up onto my lips.

I wasn't riding down Ocean Parkway in my father's convertible, the wind blowing through my beachy waves as I carelessly rocked out to my favorite guitar solo. I was sat in the passenger seat of Harry Styles' Audi R8, driving around the streets of London, cautious, timid, and somewhat afraid. I was slowly beginning to unravel, something I was most definately not used to. But I was ready for a change.

And all of a sudden, the lyrics I had so absentmindedly sang along to all those years before were finally given meaning.

-----
I'm so excited for this fanfic! Can't wait to start it once The Guardian is finished:)
Please let me know what you think & remember to vote!!!!