Part 2

The chimes of the grandfather clock yank me out of sleep. I sit up, still in Cassidy's room. She lays on her back beside me, eyes closed, and every once in a while, she'll cough quietly. I slip out of bed, careful not to wake her up, and tiptoe downstairs.
    My father is getting ready to leave for work. He does odd jobs around our small town, including but not limited to painting, carpentry, heavy lifting, and any other jobs he can find. He is tying the laces on his work boots when I come down the stairs, and when he hears me, he looks up.
    "G'morning Kitty-cat," he says, and I smile. My real name is Catherine, but he and Cass have called me Kitty for as long as I can remember. Not that I've ever actually seen a cat. I haven't seen any animals in a long time.
    "Morning Dad," I say. "Where to today?"
    He finishes tying his shoes and stands up. "I'm going to town and finishing up a job for Mr. Sanders. Me and a couple other guys are redoing the tiles on his roof, and he's paying us double what he should."
    I clap my hands in delight. "Does that mean we can finally call the doctor in for Cass?" I ask. We've been trying to scrounge up enough money to pay for the doctor, but it's been hard because they charge so much these days. Dad works seven days a week, for almost eight hours a day, and depending on how Cass is feeling, the two of us sometimes see what work we can get around town.
    He nods. "Why don't you call him now?" He asks, gesturing to our house's landline. It's the only phone in the house. We rarely use it because there really isn't anyone to call.
    I walk across the kitchen and pick up the phone. I dial the doctor's number, not even bothering to look it up in the phone book. I've been waiting for this for so long, I've practically memorized the number.
    The phone only rings once, then a female voice sounds through the receiver. "Hello this is Dr. Bart's office, how may I help you?"
    I reply instantly. "My sister has a cough, and it's been getting worse. I was wondering if the doctor could come and check her out?"
    "We have appointments scheduled all day today, but he could swing by after hours and take a look?"
    "That would be great," I say. I quickly tell her my address and she says the doctor will be here by around six. I thank her and hang up.
    My father is gone, and I start to make a small breakfast for me and Cass. While I'm picking which fruits to eat, I hear her come down the stairs.
    "Morning Cass," I say.
    "Morning Kitty," she replies. "What's for breakfast?" Cass sits down at the small kitchen table, and I slide a plate of fruit to her, then sit down across from her. We both start to eat.
    "I called the doctor this morning," I say into the silence. "He's coming at around six tonight."
    Cass looks up from her food. "Do you think he'll be able to fix me?" She says, her voice quivering.
    "Oh Cass," I say, "I promise we'll fix you up, okay?"
    She coughs, and then responds. "Okay."