Part 5

I flip my flashlight off.  I've been hiking for several hours without stop, and my legs are aching. I need a break, so I decide to watch the sun rise.
They say that the sunrise used to be beautiful, an explosion of color, and if it ever was that way, it isn't anymore.  I sit on a somewhat smooth chunk of concrete and watch the sun come up, the black sky fading out to a smokey gray.  There is enough light to see by now, and I continue my journey.
As I step over cement and rebar, I think about my father.  Surely he's home by now, reading my note, wondering if I'm alright.  I wonder if Cass is awake yet, or if she's still sleeping.  I hope she's asleep.  She's always more peaceful when she sleeps because she doesn't cough as much.
I miss her so much already, her tinkling pixie laugh, her crystal blue eyes.  I hope that this journey goes quickly so that I can get home.
"Ow!" I cry.  A searing pain shoots up my shin, and I look down.  I was so lost in thought that I didn't look where I was going, and a small, rusty piece of metal sliced through my pants, leaving a shallow cut.  I sling my backpack off my shoulder and take out the first aid kit.  I grab the disinfectant spray and squirt it on the cut, then wipe it off with a clean cloth.  I take out a short length of bandage, and wrap it around my leg twice to stop the bleeding and keep the cut clean.  I roll my pant leg back down, and stand back up.  The sky is an even gray, and I look to the horizon.  The Glass City is as far away as ever, a glittering speck on the horizon.  I sigh and start walking again, ignoring my throbbing leg.  I'm more careful now to avoid the debris, maneuvering my way around tar pits and rebar.  The wind has died down now, so trash is no longer blowing past my feet.  I cough, and adjust my gas mask.  I know I need to rest, but I can't make myself stop.  I have to keep going, for Cass.
~ ~ ~ ~
The Glass City is slowly but surely growing larger on the horizon, and it sets off a simple glow in the darkening sky.  It's been two days, five hours, and twenty seven minutes since I've seen Cass.  I've been keeping track on my watch, the one that's been strapped to my wrist since I left.  I cough a little, and clear my throat.  The light is starting to fade, the sky changing slowly from gray to black.  I flip on my flashlight, and shine it around, looking for a clear spot.  Two days, five hours, and twenty eight minutes now, and I've only stopped four times, and I've only slept twice.  I want to keep going, but I know I have to stop, or else I'll drop dead from sheer exhaustion.  I find a spot that seems to be only dirt for the most part, and take my blanket out of my backpack.  I spread the blanket over the dirt and, using my backpack as a pillow, look up at the pitch black sky.  I close my eyes, and imagine how it looked like, thousands of years ago, with a blue sky instead of gray, and stars instead of smoke.