A Chance

©JRF2016

I woke up wrapped in incredible warmth.  I roll over in Conner's arms and smile at him as he was watching me sleep. "Good morning Conner."  He chuckles and kisses me before he said, "Good afternoon sleepyhead."  I looked at him confused. "You've been asleep all morning. I was starting to wonder if you were going to wake up at all."  He pulls me closer to his body and kisses me one more time only harder and deeper. His hands begin to explore my body when someone clears their throat in the doorway.  "Sorry to interrupt but I was gonna go huntin' you comin' with me?" Darrick had a big grin on his face as he stood there waiting on his little brother.  Conner stands up, "Yeah, I'm right behind you."  He turns around to place one more kiss on my lips, "To be continued."  He smiles and walk out with Darrick.  Cathy walks in as the boys are leaving and catches on to the teasing Darrick is giving his brother.  She shoots me a wink, "Hush Pookie.  They've got to have their special time together sooner or later."  Darrick was now blushing from the nickname Cathy had given him.  Conner had told me before that his brother always had to be the tough guy.  Cathy sits down beside me, "Just came in to see how you were doing?"  I sit up and hug her, "I'm good, just a little sore.  You're not watching Grace today?"

Cathy looks at me in her soft, tender way, "Jenny has got her.  You need your rest right now, we'll take care of Grace and anything else that needs to be done until you're better."  Cathy gets up and leaves the room as Cearra walks in.  "I know you're technically grounded until you heal up but I figured we could still hang out together."  Cearra gave me a half smile.  I nod and clear a place on the bed for her to sit down.  "I never got the chance to thank you for saving me back there," she said as she hung her head.

"No thanks necessary," I told her, "You know Darrick and Conner went out hunting right?  We can take a walk ourselves if you want." 

She smiles, "Yeah, I could use some fresh air and some color."  We walk out into the courtyard and talk.  She is gushing about Maddie.  How they were before.  She was totally in love with Maddie, that was so obvious.  "I'm so sorry Cearra.  I know you must miss her so bad." 

"I do," she stops in the middle of the basketball courts, Charlie is shooting hoops with his dad on the other end.  "Anyway, you said you wanted me to show you how to use these, right?  Well, I'm going to be completely honest, I just got a crash course when the world went to shit.  I had to learn real quick, so I'm not like an expert or anything but I'll show you what I know."  I nod as I watch her and after she is done she hands them to me.  "Your turn."  I nervously take them from her and start trying to mimic her moves but I just look like a fish out of water.  "You are supposed to be taking it easy."  Reid says from behind me.  I slowly turn to face him.

"I am chief.  This is not strenuous activity, I am not fighting zombies."  He takes the knives from my hand and gives them back to Cearra and then takes me by the arm and leads me back to my cell. 

        Conner was standing by my door when I got back to my cell.  "You guys didn't stay out long." 

"Got swarmed before we even made it to the tree line, figured it was too dangerous right now.  Soon as we thin them out some we'll try it again."   He looks at Reid holding on to my arm. 

"She was out practicing weaponry with Cearra instead of resting like she is supposed to.  I was just bringing her back before she strains herself." 

"Thanks," Conner tells him as he reaches out to take my hand from Reid and leads me over to the bed.  He looked down at the ground.  "At least I got help keeping an eye on you."  He glances back over his shoulder and gives Reid a slight thank you nod.   "It really is going to be a long couple of weeks," I told him.  I put my hand on top of his.   Cearra walks in as Reid is leaving and sits down with two of us, "What are you two talking about?" Conner doesn't look at her he just keeps his head down.  "Just getting reacquainted," I told her, "You want to join us."  She shrugs and grabs a seat on the floor across from us. The three of us sit and talk until the light of day starts to fade.  Cathy had finished supper and called everyone down, I walk into the cafeteria in Conner's arms and I see Reid staring at us.  Jenny brought Grace out to Reid and he sat at the table with me and Conner.  He was holding and playing with her while we ate.  She wasn't really giving him a chance to eat.  I put my plate up and sat back down across from Reid.  "You want me to take her so you can finish your dinner?"  Reid smiles at me and hands his daughter across the table. 

After dinner we all retired to our cells.   Conner slides into the bed pulling the blanket over us and wrapping his arm around me.  "Good night beautiful," he whispered in my ear as he kissed me on the top of my ear and traced it down my neck. "Good night babe," I whispered back as he let out a husky growl.  He moves his lips to mine as the kiss grows longer.  His hands start exploring my body and his throaty growls get more intense.  I glance at the door to see a silhouette standing there.  I sit up, "Charlie?"  Conner turns around quickly.

"What are you doing here Charlie?"  Conner asks the boy a little annoyed.

"I, I, just wanted to say goodnight to Rachel," Charlie said, "Didn't know you were staying in here with her."

He starts to walk away, "Charlie," I said causing him to stop in his tracks and turn around, "Good night."  I see the boy really smile for the first time since I met him.

"Goodnight," he replied back.  Charlie disappears after that and Conner begins nuzzling my ear.  "You're so damn good with those kids, it just turns me on even more," He starts sucking at my neck as his hand begins tugging at my clothes.  "I love you Rachel," he whispered in that raspy voice of his.  I feel a smile creep onto my face as I hug him.  "I love you too."

The next morning Darrick was talking to Reid about a run.  They didn't notice standing there just listening.  "We could use one more," Reid said, "Who do you suggest?"  Darrick shrugs and chews on his thumbnail.  I could tell that he wanted to take his brother but he wasn't sure how Reid would react. After a long pause with neither of the men saying anything I spoke up.  "What about Conner?"  They both jump and turn to look at me.

"Conner?"  Reid asks, "I guess he could be useful.  Darrick, do you think your brother could be of some use?"  Darrick nods.  "Alright, go get Conner.  We head out in ten minutes."  Darrick smiles at me and runs off to find his brother.  Reid walks over to me and sits down tapping the seat next to him for me to sit. 

"How long were you listening in?"  I smile as I place my hand on his chest.  I could feel his heartbeat speed up as my hand lay there.

"Long enough to hear you say you needed an extra person.  I know you're not sure about Conner yet, and maybe even a little jealous but I believe in him and he is gonna be an asset on this run.  I can feel it." Reid places his hand on my face and leans in for a kiss but stops. 

"Okay, yeah, I'm definitely jealous.  If you say he's going to be an asset I believe you."  He starts to get up and then crashes his lips to mine.  I sit there in shock at the kiss and he looks away, ashamed.  "I'm sorry.  I know I said I would let you have your space, see where things stood with you and Conner but I can't stand watching you with him.  I want you to be in my arms when you go to sleep at night."

"Hey," Darrick calls from the hallway, "You said ten right?"

"Shit, I gotta go.  Can we talk when I get back?"  I can't answer him.  I'm still in shock at the bomb he just dropped and the kiss.  If I had sorted out my feelings and made up my mind it was all screwed up now.  That kiss had some unresolved feelings creeping back up and now I was not sure I was doing the right thing by staying with Conner.