CHAPTER ONE

"Mommy! Mommy!" I was covered in sweat and tears. I ran to her room tripping over my own feet. I opened the door and jumped on her bed. Darkness. Only darkness.

"Emily? Darling? What time is it? What are you doing awake?" Her voice. Her sweet soothing voice. It used to put me to bed whenever I needed it.

I suddenly saw brightness when she looked at me. Warmth, safety. She was there for me. "Mommy...he was there again..." My tears kept flowing. I tried to wipe them off with the back of my wrist. But it was already wet with tears from earlier.

She shook her head and pulled me towards her. "Now darling, what have we been talking about? He's not real. And even if he was, I'll make sure he never comes back. He won't hurt you. You're too strong." I looked up at her and saw her long blond locks fall across her face.

Even though she was always stressed. She always put on a smile.

Her eyes were a dark gray. They had dark marks under them. Her skin was full of wrinkles. But I never knew why. She wasn't old. I guess she wasn't young either.

"Mommy...can you...can you sing me the song?"

"If you cry tonight...they will keep on teasing. So keep your chin up high. And don't you dare cry. They might poke and laugh, but don't let them make you mad. For when the morning comes-"

"I'll be there to hold you...." I looked up at my new apartment. I would be sharing it with another girl. "At least I won't be alone," I thought. I picked up my luggage and walked in the door.

"Oh! Hi! You must be Emily. It's a pleasure!!! My name's Sara!" I looked at the girl and grinned a bit.

She had long straight auburn hair. It fell slightly on her face, but I could tell what she looked like. She had freckles that covered her cheeks. They were a bit red. Maybe they are naturally like that?

Her eyes...her eyes were gorgeous. They were sapphire blue. They sparkled at just a bit of light. Her nose was small and cute. Her lips were a light pink. It matched her cheeks. She was...breathtaking.

I walked closer to her and shook her hand. "Hey Sara. Nice to meet you." Her eyes went down to our hands and her cheeks turned dark.

She let got and looked at the ground. "I'll show you your room." She never made eye contact. "She must be shy," I thought. She walked me through our apartment.

Her room was a bit smaller than mine, but she didn't seem to mind. She seemed like the type of girl to like the indoors. An introvert.

"Oh! I almost forgot! You never told me anything about yourself other than why you'd be a good housemate. I'd like to know you more." Her voice...

It was soft and sweet. Sweet like chocolate.

"Well...I like cats." She just giggled. "Me too. But I meant-" she was interrupted by a knock. "I'll go get that."

Once she left the room I sat down on the bed that was there. " I wonder...should I tell her about my problem?...I don't want to embarrass myself. No. It'll be fine..."

I looked out the window. It was snowing. It was like crystals. Beautiful, elegant. Something in the back of my head wasnt OK with this...but that was fine. It was fine.

"I'll be there to hold you..." She smiled at me and kissed my forehead. "Goodnight, Emily."