Chapter Six - Luke

"Coast's clear." I say, letting the heavy cream colored table cloth drop. Turning to see the male staring at me intently, I could feel a blush stain my cheeks. Our eyes lock together. Awkward tension quickly built up and an urge to run for it bubbles crazily within me.

Making a split second decision, I escape from under the table. I couldn't take that feeling inside me anymore. It's crazy, making my heart pound and my cheeks heat up. I like it. But I don't know what it is. Before I could get far, a hand wraps around my elbow making me stumble into a chest.

I hear a laugh, feeling it rumble against my cheek. "The ginger cookie girl won't run from me!"

I pull away and blink. "I think you're saying it wrong. It's the gingerbread man."

His face twists. "Ginger cookies are sweeter. But I'd rather prefer calling you Cupcake."

"Oh."

The male's face clears. "I just realized I was being rude. I'm Lucian."

"Sang." I murmur, my cheeks feeling hot once again. I can't believe I didn't myself being rude. I felt so ashamed. "Oh, um, thanks for... I had a nice time. It was a pleasure meeting you Lucian."

Lucian's face twists. "Ugh, don't call me that. It sounds way too formal." He thinks for a moment. "Call me Luke instead."

I nod before taking a few slow steps back. "Ok well I just wanted to say thank you and...bye." I turn and start walking. It was way past time to apologize to the boys.

"Wait!"

I pause involuntarily. Luke's voice sounded so... "Yes?" I call back.

"Will you attend the Couple's Carnival with me? I need a partner to get in." He pauses as if waiting for something. "Unless, you've got somewhere to go? I just..."

I laugh, shocking both Luke and myself. I hadn't heard myself laugh that loudly in a while. Smiling so big that it my cheek muscles I said, "I was going to say yes anyway."

"Woah!" I exclaim staring with wide eyes at the looming huge roller coaster and stands. Luke and I were already in the park. For some reason, the people in the booths just let him in. "So this is the Couple's Carnival?"

"Yup!" Luke stood proud with his hands on his hips. "Welcome to the Couple's Carnival Cupcake!"

I stare. The rides were huge. They loomed over me. My eyes moved to this particularly girly pink ride. The drop was big but that wasn't what had gotten my attention. It was the two giants working under it. They both had dark hair and really fit bodies. I could see that even from such a large distance away. So the roller coasters were big, and so were the people?

"Why is it called that? And why do you need a partner to go in?" The people in booths just let him in anyways.

Luke smirks at me. "Weren't you listening? This is the Couple's Carnival Sang. It's in the name. You need a date to go in. They won't all let you without one." Really? That's not what I saw...

"Why me?" The question blurted itself out before I could stop it.

Luke's smirk grows. "Why not? And also, my partner in crime is actually in the infirmary right now." He laughs. "I can't imagine him getting in a fight at all! Wait, actually I can. If it's about the right subject." A sad glint enters Luke's eyes. "I expect my brother in that position instead though."

It didn't surprise me that Luke knew Gabriel. They were both fun, cheery, and most likely best friends. Upbeat music reaches my ears. Luke take my arms and moves them in a crazy motion, grinning at me.