Chapter 18

"Then, just as all hope seemed lost, the Halfling Frodo Baggins saw Sauron's terrible Ring cast back into the rivers of fire that dwelt in the heart of Mount Doom, and it was no more. A great screaming roar rent the air, and the monstrous black tower of Barad-dûr crumbled and cracked, splintering into colossal shards of rock and metal as it fell crashing upon the plains of Gorgoroth, a great wind rushing over the land as the fiery eye of the Lord of Mordor winked out forever." Haleth's voice wove through the hall, casting its spell on children and grown men alike. Hilde could only listen quietly, a small smile on her lips. It pleased her more than she could say that her brother, now a young man grown, had inherited their father's gift for telling the great tales of their land.

On his lap Hilde's eldest daughter, Éodwyn, who was almost five now, was cuddled up against her uncle. Her green eyes were wide with fascination as Haleth told the tale of the War of the Ring, as it was now known. At Hilde's side, her three-year old son Éodain gasped loudly, his small hands holding tight to her fingers with every ounce of strength he could muster. In her lap the baby made a soft sound, oblivious to the excitement of the story as she slept nestled in Hilde's arms. Haleth smiled over at his nephew.

"Then the field began to shake, the ground cracking and falling from beneath the feet of the Dark Lord's hoards, swallowing Black Gate and any orcs who could not flee fast enough into the earth, while in the distance the sides of the dark mountain burst forth with rushing gouts of fiery molten rock. King Elessar and our own Éomer King looked on in joy as they realized it was all over, that now, at last, our lands could have peace." Éodwyn's mouth parted in awe as Haleth's voice went silent, his story over. Then, turning so quickly she inadvertently elbowed her uncle in the ribs, she looked to Hilde. Haleth grunted with discomfort, though his warm brown eyes laughed at his niece's enthusiasm. It brought a smile to Hilde's face.

From the very first Éodwyn had decided that Haleth was to be her dearest friend and kindred spirit. As soon as she could walk she had tried to follow him everywhere, often scaring Hilde soundly when she found her way into the stables. Like her uncle, now the King's Stablemaster, the little girl had inherited the same particular understanding of horses that ran in her mother's family. More than that she had never questioned that he had only one arm while she and everyone else had two, and that blind acceptance had done more to helping Haleth make peace with his loss than anything else.

"Were you there, Mama? Was it really like that?" Hilde had to fight from tightening her grip on Ellda, the baby mewling in her sleep as her mother shifted. It was still painful to remember those days, even sitting here in the Great Hall of Meduseld surrounded by her family. Haleth looked over at her, a trace of concern flitting over his features. In that moment he looked so much like their father; the same set to his mouth, his brow creasing with worry the same way as Háma's had. Hilde managed to pull a smile to her face.

"No. I didn't ride to the Black Gates. I stayed in the White City. But I saw it nonetheless," she hesitated, the memory clear and insistent in her thoughts.

"The eastern sky was so dark. But the instant the Ring returned to the fires of the dark mountain the skies over Mordor seemed to glow red; an evil, pulsing light that seeped over the mountains that border those lands. The clouds roiled and churned and even in the White City I swear the ground beneath our feet trembled. The very earth seemed to know the great evil of our world had been banished. Moreover, we knew it in our hearts; it was like a great weight had been lifted that none had realized pressed down on us. Then the sky began to clear and the sun shone with warmth again."

She had been standing with Éowyn in the courtyard of the Houses of Healing, overlooking the scarred plains of Pelennor when it had happened, both knowing that off in the far distance, the final battle was being fought. Faramir had stood with Éowyn, his arm draped lightly about her shoulders. When the ground beneath their feet trembled Hilde had to reach out for the column she'd stood beside for reassurance. Next to her Éowyn's hands had flown to cover her mouth, her lips parted in disbelief as tears had begun streaming down her cheeks. It had taken a moment for Hilde to process what had just happened, her own face damp as comprehension came crashing in on her. She had started laughing then, and soon she and Éowyn were clinging to each other, each all but sobbing with relief and joy at the realization that it was all—finally—over.