Beyond the Sea (Pirate!England)

"But why?" The heartbroken way she spoke; the crack in her voice would always haunt me.

   It was during the middle of the fifteenth century when I was ordered by Her Highness to return to her side to discuss about what to do with Spain.

   The sky was was pink, turning orange as the sun dipped down the horizon. My men were carrying sacks of spices and gold back to the ship. I should've been satisfied with where I was at the moment, happy even, to return after everything that has been accomplished.

   However, these calloused hands which I held in my larger ones were chains that could never be broken.

   "I'm sorry, love" I couldn't face her. All I could do was stare shamefully at the gold band on her left ring finger.

   "Must you really depart? Why couldn't it have been tomorrow, or even tonight? Why today when..." She trailed off, I could hear her whimper and my soul shook.

   "I... I don't know what else to say. It's the queen's orders. I'm sorry"

   Cold fingers tightened, quivering. I couldn't take it anymore so I wrapped my arms around her and pulled her in. Her cheek was on my chest.

   "I'm sorry, love. I'm so sorry..!" Now my own voice was full of tears. I have faced many battles; have raised toasts in victory and suffered losses. But no bullet nor blade has ever prepared me for the pain of leaving this person behind on our wedding day.

   We stayed like that for a moment. How long was that? I didn't care; all that mattered was her in my arms.

   "Don't go, Arthur. Please. I know it's selfish, but just for today. I won't bother you again, just..." Then she burst into fits of muffled weeping. That was the first time in years I've heard her cry with such pain and helplessness. Guilt nipped at the corners of my heart.

   I pulled her in closer and as tightly as I could, hoping that by some miracle we'd be merged as one. But alas, that is a prayer not even God could grant me.

   "Darling, I..." My tongue stopped and my mouth closed. What was I supposed to say?

   I decided to remain silent, punishing myself with her tears. One could tell that she was trying her damnedest to keep it together, I knew it from the way she covered her mouth with such shame as her hunched shoulders struggled. She didn't have to do that, she has nothing to be ashamed of. Those tears were for me and it has been a while since someone has ever cried for me.

   Suddenly, she pulled herself away from my grasp and let her arms dropped to her sides. I was a little surprised, I must admit.

   She took a deep breath to compose herself, and then she looked at me straight in the eye. I was tempted to look away but she held me in place.

   I braced myself for her anger which I would happily welcome in place of her sadness. It may sound selfish but I find it more bearable for her to be furious at rather than depressed; the lesser of two evils, I should say.

   "Arthur" Her voice sounded so firm despite the way it gave away how tired her throat must have been.

   My poker face remained, not giving anything away as I waited for this woman's wrath.

   "Accept my apologies" She muttered steadily and my eyes widened. Nonetheless, I said nothing and let her continue without disruption, "That was very unladylike and immature of me. It is unfair of me to place you in a position where you have to choose between myself and Her Majesty; pretentious even. Accept my apologies and attend to the queen as you must"