Scorned (America) 2 of 2

WARNING: Multiple triggers ahead

_____

"When fortune smiles on something as violent and ugly as revenge, it seems proof like no other that not only does God exist, you're doing his will." – The Bride, Kill Bill

_____

I WAS shocked when you asked me over" Maria came around seven o'clock; right after you finished setting the table.

   "I'm so sorry, but you're his secretary so you already know that Alfred won't be home for a while because of that business meeting. And my friends are all busy, I didn't know who else to turn to."

   "Oh, it's okay. I just meant that we're not really close so your call just took me by surprise."

   "I bet it did." You whispered snidely as you let her in.

   "Did you say something?"

   "Your necklace" You said. She wore a chunky diamond necklace over her form-fitting long-sleeved red dress "It looks beautiful on you."

   She smiled and touched it endearingly "Thank you, I—

   "Who's it from?"

   She blinked. Bingo. You knew who it was from, he gave you an identical one as an advanced anniversary gift this year.

   "I bought it myself"

   "Oh, pardon me. It's just that I didn't think someone with your paycheck could afford it, I thought you got it from a boyfriend" You said as you led her to the dining table.

   Maria was quiet for a moment. "Um, you said you wanted to talk to me about something important?"

   "Yes, I do. But first take a seat" You pulled a chair.

   She glanced at you from the corner of her eye and reluctantly sat down. You then went to your seat.

   You picked up your fork and motioned at the meal you've prepared: Spaghetti and garlic bread. "It's nothing fancy, I know, but I hope you like it."

   "It's all right, I love Italian." She laid a napkin on her lap.

   "Another thing we have in common."

   Maria looked at you.

   You grinned. "I forgot to tell you but I have the same, exact necklace. Alfred bought it for me as a gift—what a coincidence, right?"

   She lowered her gaze. "Oh." Was her reply instead.

   "You sound dejected."

   "No, I..." She struggled to say something. 'What a pity', you thought, 'She acted so calm at the start but she clearly isn't very good at this.'

   "Dig in." You'd start growing grey hair if you waited for this woman to come up with an excuse.

   She bobbed her head and then started eating. You just twirled the pasta around your fork as you watched her.

   "Mm... This is delicious, Mrs. Jones. Did you put hot dogs in this?"

   "Please, call me by my first name. And thank you, the hot dogs are part of the family recipe. It's Alfred's favorite"

   She slowed down and you grinned inwardly.

   "I-is that so?"

   "He used to tease me all the time that the recipe was the reason he married me. The jerk." You laughed.