Chapter 21

I leave the lab and start roaming around the school, not really knowing where to go next, but before I know it, I'm at the one place I never thought I would ever visit. I go down a long flight of stairs, and see two guards standing in front of a massive, silver door.

I approach them, and they straighten their backs at the sight of me, probably not expecting any company, "Who are you?" One them asks, a tall, thin man with an unkempt beard.

"I'm here under Head Master Ren's orders," I lie, not really knowing where I'm going with this, I should've come up with a plan before coming here, but I always do tend to think better on my feet.

The two guards exchange looks, confused, "We didn't receive a notice that there will be visitors," the other guard says, a red head with dark brown eyes.

I shrug, looking indifferent, "Alright, I'll leave, but if Head Master Ren has you fired, don't come whining to me, I'm his new favorite prodigy after all." I say, studying at my nails, pretending to look bored.

They shift in their places, then the first guard says, "You're the new student who just entered the school, aren't you?"

I don't look up when I say, "Mm hmm, that I am."

They consider this for a moment, then finally they let me in by opening the doors and then one of them says, I'm not sure which one since I have my back turned to them, "You have ten minutes," then closes the door, and I let out a breath I didn't know I was holding.

I walk down another flight of stairs, my heart beating uncontrollably in my chest, what the heck am I even doing here? This is a bad idea, if I had half a brain, I'd turn around and run for my life right this second, but instead, I swallow my fear and continue walking down these endless stairs. Before I know it, I'm standing face-to-face with Dex, who's being held inside a cell, doing push-ups. He's shirtless, and sweating all over, I take another deep breath, and walk closer to his cage, all words and thoughts escaping my good-for-nothing brain. I'm pretty sure this is what they call a brainfart, never thought I'd ever have one of those, guess there's a first time for everything.

I cross my arms to keep them from shaking, "Sucks being on the other side, doesn't it?" I say, my voice sounding more confident than I thought it would, which gives me a boost of self-assurance. Dex freezes half-way through a push-up at the sound of my voice, and looks up at me, his eyes narrowed. Within a second, he's on his feet, and dusting off his hands. I give him a once over, and can't stop myself from staring at his chest and abs, which makes the blood in my veins run hot throughout my body. There's a band-aid wrapped around his shoulder and chest, hiding the injury Blaze gave him back at Lord Codd's palace. He then turns around, walks to the bed that's at the far end of the room, grabs his shirt and puts it on. The lack of skin makes my heart regulate, which is a huge relief.

"What do you want?" he asks, now making serious eye contact.

That is a very good question indeed, why did I come here exactly? I had so much to ask him, why did they kidnap me, why doesn't the strog work on me, what's with the whole prophecy nonsense that they were throwing at me back at the palace, and lastly, how in God's name were they able to find me? But none of those questions leave my mouth, instead, I stare at him, speechless, my emotions jumping at me from all directions. I'm angry, and upset, and most of all, hating him from what he made me go through. But looking at him now, I can't help but feel a little tinge of sympathy towards him, like he needs me in some sort of way.

"Guess you're not going to thank me for saving your butt," I smirk, putting my hands in the pocket of my jeans.

Dex scowls, "You humiliate me by bringing me here and surrender my life at the hands of people like you, and you expect a thank you?" he says through gritted teeth, "You're lucky you're still alive, but that won't be for long."