Chapter 7

If you're in a predicament and you don't know how to mend the situation, do you ignore it and hope it gets better? Do you ask someone for advice or assistance? Do you give it your best shot, hoping it will have the outcome you want? I had so many plans. I'd been thinking about getting a puppy once I started my new job at the medical office. I was going to move to a condo where I could have a pet, and I planned to start working toward my doctorate in the fall. The more thought I gave it, the more it became set in stone that I'd definitely allowed myself to get too comfortable in Boston. I should've left when I had the chance. Maybe things would've been different.

What am I doing? I thought, staring blankly out another hotel window. Where did I go wrong? These things don't happen.

It was late in the night. We'd driven until Joey was so exhausted, he didn't think it would be safe if he tried to push on. Stopping in Mount Vernon, Illinois, we found another Hilton and called it a night. I'd been all too happy to rinse the dirt off my body and change into clean clothes. My shower had lasted so long that Joey complained I was going to use all the hot water in the hotel before he got a chance to clean up. We found a pizza parlor down the street and shared a large cheese pizza. I was starving, and judging by the way Joey dove into his first slice, so was he. We went to bed as soon as we finished eating. I was out like a light before my head even hit the pillow.

Luckily, this hotel had a room with two beds available, and I was glad I wouldn't have to awkwardly share a bed with Joey. Well, at least I thought I was glad. Once I awoke in the middle of the night, I wasn't so excited about sleeping alone. I rolled over, watching his chest rise and fall, and listening to his soft breathing as he slept. I longed to get out of my bed and crawl under the covers with him. I felt a blush creep up my neck when I thought about waking up with his arm draped over me at the last hotel. I tried to ignore the nagging urge to curl up next to Joey, but my feelings were persistent. I couldn't cross that line though. I couldn't let myself give in.

In an effort to get my mind off of him, I wandered over to the window where the light of a street lamp was shining through. Walking in front of the light, I was startled by my shadow on the wall until I realized it was me. I mentally cursed at myself for being so jumpy and took a seat on the window ledge, placing my hand over my heart to calm my pulse.

The curtain draped over my shoulder, shielding my back from the air conditioner that was blowing cold air toward the beds. Joey's soft snores were like a lullaby, comforting me while I leaned my back against the wall and looked out at the town.

The occasional car passed by. Mount Vernon wasn't very active at night. I jumped again at the sound of a door slamming down the hallway and squinted at our door to make sure we'd remembered to lock it. Small, neatly manicured trees cast menacing shadows across the pavement below while I stared at the crescent moon until my eyes burned.

The feeling of a warm hand on my arm almost frightened me out of my skin, but I could see part of Joey's reflection in the window. The street light shone on his face, glowing off his white T-shirt.

"Hey," he greeted me softly, his thumb caressing my shoulder.

I turned my body toward him, my hazel eyes meeting his vibrant blue ones. His hair hung down over his forehead, sticking up in places here and there. All my previous discomfort had easily faded in his presence and I was left with a warm, relaxing wave washing over my body. Still, it scared me how fast I got comfortable with this man.

He stood between my knees in front of me, his hand still on my shoulder. His eyes were scanning the parking lot for anything abnormal. I found myself wanting to hug him. I wanted to wrap my arms around his waist and relax against his body. Standing there in the dim light, he looked younger, less damaged. No. Damaged wasn't the right word for him. I was the damaged one. In the darkness, I couldn't see the pain in his eyes, but I knew it was there, hiding, lingering near the surface, the same way my pain did. It was obvious to me that he'd been through a lot in a short amount of time – current situation aside – and I wanted to ask him what had left him so hurt, but I knew that the more he opened up to me, the harder it would make it not to develop feelings for him, and feelings were not an option.