Chapter 23

Joey kept his cool, his stance unwavering, but I could see in his eyes that he was taken aback by my outburst. I continued to tower over him as best I could. I wasn't going to back down. He could get that idea out of his pretty little police officer head right now.

"Answer me," I spat, my tone low and frustrated.

Still, he sat there, arms crossed, staring a hole through me like he wasn't fazed a bit. "Jess, I don't think-"

"Damnit, Joey!" I exclaimed, throwing my arms out. "Fine. You know what? That's it! I'm done. I'm leaving."

I spun around, heading for the door, stomping each step like a child throwing a tantrum.

"Oh, yeah?" he chuckled behind me. "Where ya going to go, Love?"

I slowed down for a second. Right. I hadn't thought that far. Where could I go? I didn't even know how to get out of Cape Cod, for fuck's sake!

It didn't matter. I was a grown-ass woman, I told myself again. I could handle going rouge against Richard Lux and his minions. I'd managed to free myself from kidnapping, escape a second abduction attempt, and outrun Cadillac Man and an ass load of police in a high speed chase. If I could do all that, I could handle anything else they threw at me. Bring it the fuck on.

I flipped back the deadbolt, refusing to look back at Joey. I knew if I even glanced at his face, I'd give in. I couldn't let Officer Sexypants change my mind. If he wasn't willing to be a team player, I couldn't trust him one hundred percent. It was his fault I was leaving.

"You're not seriously going to try to leave, are you?" His voice was laced with concern.

"You shouldn't have kept secrets from me," I said, grabbing the doorknob. "I'm supposed to be able to trust you."

"You can!" he scoffed.

I could hear his boots clunking against the wood floors, coming closer to me. I was hesitating, giving him a chance to explain himself. I should've just slammed the door in his face, but I could feel my plan beginning to unravel already. I'd been avoiding looking at him, for fear that his amazing eyes would dazzle me back into staying. But it wasn't his face I had to worry about. It was that damn soft, smooth voice of his with just a hint of shakiness that told me he was trying to mask how scared he really was of losing me. I wanted to believe he was scared of losing me because he cared so much about me, but in reality, it was more likely because he was doing his job and that's all I was to him. A job.

I turned the knob and flung the door open with attitude, marching out onto the lawn like I owned the fucking place. I didn't know where I was going. I'd follow the road and see where it led. I didn't really give a shit at the moment. I just needed to get away. Just like Boston, I'd let myself get too comfortable with Joey, and it was passed time to move on. I'd find a new city and a new man who would undoubtedly fuck my life up again like all the rest of them had, and life would go on in its messy little cycle.

"Jess!" Joey shouted behind me.

I kept walking. I'd failed to grab my shoes before storming out and my sock-clad feet were in pain as I walked atop the gravel, but it didn't matter. I'd grin and bear it.

"Jessica, stop!" he hollered again.

I could hear him following me, the gravel crunching under his boots, but I wasn't stopping. At the very least, I had to make a point. He was going to learn the hard way how not to treat someone who put their faith in him.

"Fucking hell," he groaned, jogging up alongside me. "Jess, please."

He reached for my arm but I shoved him back. "Leave me alone, Joey."