0.00

"Better to die fighting for freedom then be a prisoner all the days of your life."
-Bob Marley

"Subject nine-five-eight," through the cheers of the children around her, the yells of encouragement, and the buzz that subject eight-nine-four's punch placed in her ears, she could hear a guard snap at her, prying her from the bloody mess that was her opponent's face, "back to the Pit!" She could feel his blunt nails digging in freshly-bruised skin, causing a burning pain to flood through her, and his hand harshly guiding her with her injured arm.

By now, everything had silenced around her, the watchful eyes of the other kids glaring at her as she did her "Walk-of-Shame" to the dreadful punishment everyone tried to avoid. She could feel her lips curl into a smile, blood-red teeth, split lips, and all.

Mr. Sonic, as she decided to nickname him because of his quick movements and the uncomfortable ring caring into her skin, escorted her out of the main room, leaving trail of blood in their path that would later be cleaned up after she was long gone. "You little shits," he growled out as soon as the double-doors closed behind them, leaving them both in pristine white halls with doors on either side, "I say it's better to just kill all of you. Screw White Knight."

She stayed silent as he seethed through his irritation, taking another sharp right and then a left-left-right combo, until they were in an empty hall - no doors or cameras, due to the key-required lock placed on the door - and the only thing they heard was their echoing footsteps and his muttering. Taking a deep breath, she fumbled, tripping over her feet.

"Ow," she hissed, stopping her walking and causing him to snap into a stop when she yanked her arm down, cradling her leg covered by knee-length socks. Discreetly, she slipped an object out of it, barely noticeable if you didn't know it was there.

"What is it, brat?" Mr. Sonic snapped again, turning and facing her as she feigned the act of being injured, massaging her calf and whimpering occasionally in pain.

"I think I broke my ankle," she hissed in pain, causing him to puff air through his nostrils.

He kneeled in front of her, tugging her leg in a careless way.

"Let me see."

Inwardly, she smirked, clenching the object in her hand a little tighter. In this prison, there was one motto: "Broken bones are intolerable." She wasn't exactly sure if all the guards even cared to follow-through with it but she knew for a fact that Mr. Sonic, who was a newbie, would. After all, who wants to get fired on their first day?

He twisted her ankle around, craning it in different positions to check the bone. "It looks fine to m-" Before he could finish his sentence, a rusty fork was jabbed in his neck, causing him to choke on the blood that was most likely filling his throat. Gurgling, he toppled over and twitched before finally stilling, causing her to clamber up.

Once she was up on her feet, she foraged over his person, digging into his pocket and finding a key card (perfect for the door), a gun with bullets, sedatives, and little pink pellets, and a taser. She tucked the taser, as well as the extra sedatives and pellets, into the waistband of her baggy pants. Next, she stood, running down the hall where she ended up in front of a single bolted door.

With a burst of confidence, she swiped the key card.

As soon as the door opened, she was hit with a warm blast of the scent of urine and copper, forcing her to almost vomit, but she surpasses it, stepping with bare feet onto a mossy ground. As soon as she entered, the door closed shut behind her, trapping her inside of the Pit, where the EVOs were stored for punishments of the subjects.

She wasn't sure how long she had before the EVOs sniffed her out in the Pit but she instantly set herself in motion, tracing her way to the familiar path that she had followed every time she was in that godforsaken place. About a third of the way there, she heard a growl, which sparked a series of hisses and roars to follow, and causes her to escape her run for a sprint, clambering over tree roots and parts of past humans in the Pit.

It was only a few seconds later when a huge reptile-bear hybrid crashed into her, causing her to tumble back into a tree, the gun slipping from her grasp as it emitted a hiss/growl sound, a tongue slipping from its mouth and curling over its snout. She tensed, hoping that it could see through movements, which soon fled as it charged forward, slashing at her.

She dunked, catching its claws on her shoulder instead of her chest, as she dove for the gun, getting back on her feet with it in her shaky grasp. Her arm ached as she pointed it forward, closing her eyes and squeezing the trigger. A whimper followed after the bang. Taking that as a sign to open her eyes, she did, eyes watering as she saw the EVO transform a bit, turning into a more human figure that made her feel more sorrow than when she killed/severely injure the guard.

Wiping her face, she trudged forward, keeping her ears peeled for any noises so that another EVO would not have to share the same fate as the one before. After a few close-calls and mind-blowing pain from the EVO's scratch, she finally made it to a door, made out of glass - which she thought was there so that the subjects could see the world once before they died in the Pit, if they did.

That was when the sirens started.

They were loud, blaring in her head and making her feel like her ears were bleeding, but they only served as motivation for her. She had made it this far, if she didn't make it any farther, they would seal the door, give her extra watch - every future escape plan would never work. A metal barricade started to cover over the glass door, hiding the outside world from her view.

So, with her uninjured arm, she shot bullets at the glass, causing spiderweb cracks until it shattered, more blaring starting up. It seemed that the door started to close faster. With a push, she shot forward, slipping under the crack under the metal door, pieces of glass digging into her skin but she enjoyed it.

She enjoyed it because it signified her freedom.

She was free.