4. A Normal Life

Monica wasn't exactly trying to get there as fast as she could, even though she knew the work wouldn't be able to begin without her. It wasn't her usual place to be doing the legwork herself, but she didn't trust anybody else enough. Regardless, she took her sweet time as her limo pulled to a gentle stop outside of the old building, chosen for its nondescript appearance. It was perfect in that way, and already she could see the warlocks she'd hired securing the warding over the property. The building itself was an abandoned factory of some sort, she thought, and she considered what it was going to look like on the inside.

Once she'd opened the door and made her way in, it looked just like she pictured—dusty and broken and completely innocent of their nefarious scheme. This way if someone, or something, was to break through the barrier they would not be privy to the true intent of this location. She was though, and she went straight to the back where a large metal door stood out of place. There was a scanner beside it, and as soon as she pressed her hand against it the door opened, revealing a hidden elevator. Now the space looked much more fitting, new and clean, and once she was in place she pressed the button to take her down to the laboratory stashed beneath.

When she arrived she stepped out into the open area, surveying just how large and expansive it was. In only the short time since she'd commissioned the project there was already every manner of machine and equipment that money could buy. All around there were test tubes with strange beasts floating in them, tables on which creatures lay cut to pieces. It was a beautiful sight, and not one of the workers who buzzed around dared to look her in the eye, knowing just who she was. All but one who came right over to her.

"Monica, I'm Stephanie Blake. You won't regret choosing me for this operation, it's a pleasure to finally meet you in person." Stephanie took off her glasses and rubbed the bridge of her nose before offering a hand. The way she spoke so casually appalled Monica a little, knowing that very few people dared to address her so personally. Still, the scientist didn't appear to be the kind who cared much for that sort of thing—sporting dark makeup and matching hair that was shaved on one side. She'd been chosen because she was supposed to be the best at what she did, but the villainess had her doubts as she took note of all the metal in her face. The vivid blue eyes that she pried with were not unlike her own, yet they were much brighter like the thief, Lorelei.

"How long is this going to take you, Stephanie Blake?" Monica didn't hide her indifference, and instead of shaking her hand she reached into her purse and produced a vial of blood that she handed to her.

"Well, it really depends, I mean, with a sample this size it'll be pretty hard to make it work." Laughing a little, Stephanie looked the red liquid over before turning and heading to one of her machines.

"I have complete faith that you won't disappoint me, I went through a great deal of trouble to procure that." Monica followed after her, disliking the way she seemed so unsure. If she hadn't been interrupted by that nurse at the hospital then she would've been able to draw more blood from Austin. What she had would have to suffice.

"I'll see what I can do. Why didn't you just grab the guy and be done with it? That would've made this a whole lot easier."

"Trust me, it's not that simple—there are a few new players that we hadn't anticipated, and they complicate things. What I need is for you to tell me if he's even worth pursuing."

"Right, okay, I can do that. Then again, if they complicate things how do you expect you'll be able to get him either way?" Stephanie looked up from her observations.