Steve/Reader - Eyes On Me (The First Avenger)

MAIN CHARACTERS:

Reader, Steve/Cap, Dr Erskine, Howard Stark

IMAGINE: You watch Steve get injected with the super soldier serum and are petrified of anything happening to him. When he emerges from the chamber a changed man, you are so distracted by the sight in front of you that it's too late to get out of the way when all hell breaks loose.

 When he emerges from the chamber a changed man, you are so distracted by the sight in front of you that it's too late to get out of the way when all hell breaks loose

"Steve, are you sure you wanna do this? I mean what if it doesn't work? What if it goes wrong?"

I couldn't help but worry about him. He was my best friend. Always has been, always will be. Steve, Bucky and I were inseparable when we were growing up in Brooklyn. When Bucky went off to war I was devastated, a part of me was gone. Just the thought of this not working shook me to the core.

Steve had been promised a new lease of life. He'd be fit, healthy, super-human. It sounded perfect, just what he'd been dreaming of his whole life. He was going to be the world's first super soldier.

I just wanted everything to stay the same. I didn't want him to change. Yes, he was small. Yes, he had health problems. Yes, he'd been beaten down more times than I could count. I didn't look at any of that though. Didn't see that. When I look at Steve Rogers, I see the strongest person I know. The kindest person I've ever met, and the person I love more than anything else in the world.

Steve had requested that I be here when it happened. I was literally picked up from my home, out of the blue, greeted by Steve and an English lady, and then whisked away to this lab we now found ourselves in. It scared the wits out of me. What were they going to do to him? Steve tried to explain it all to me in the car. All the positives, the possible side effects, why he'd been chosen. It sounded like a dream come true. The strong, amazing guy that was on the inside might finally have a chance to break free. I should be happy, I should be excited for him. Why then was I so afraid?

"(Y/N) everything's going to be ok. I promise. I've thought about this a lot, and it's the right choice. I can help. I can fight like everyone else. I can be the best version of me." Steve said with a sincere smile, reaching up and placing his palm on my cheek.

"You're already the best version of you."

"You have to say that, because you're my best friend," he laughed.

"I don't think it because you're my best friend Steve," I started. If this was really going to happen, if I was really going to stand by and let him get injected with god knows what, then it was now or never. Time for the truth to come out. If I didn't say anything and he didn't make it out of this, then I would never forgive myself.

"What do you mean (Y/N)?"

"What I mean is, Steve I..........."

"Ladies and gentlemen, today we take not another step towards annihilation, but the first step on the path to peace." The Doctor in charge of today's proceedings, interrupted loudly and half way through my admission.