Steve/Reader - On Your Left (Winter Soldier)

Main Characters:

Reader, Steve/Cap, Sam/Falcon

IMAGINE: You meet up with your jogging buddy Sam Wilson. When he finds out who your boyfriend is he tells you to invite Steve along, thinking he could give him a bit of competition. What happens when Captain America and Falcon go against each other? (Winter Soldier)

"Hi Sam," I called out as I made my way over to a tree at the side of the Potomac River, our usual meeting spot

"Hi (Y/N)," he greeted back whilst stretching in the shade.

I'd first met Sam Wilson a couple of months ago, just after Steve and I had moved out to DC from New York. At first he was just another early morning jogger. He was someone other than me who loved watching the sun rise as they ran, the orange hue reflecting off the pool in front of the Lincoln Memorial.

Before long it started to get awkward. We turned up roughly at the same time every day, would run the same route, at more or less the same pace. It was hard to avoid each other. On one occasion Sam took it upon himself to break the ice and introduced himself, we got chatting, and eventually we became jogging buddies.

"So, have you been up to much in the last 24 hours?" I laughed with a tired smile. It was 6.30 in the morning and I was exhausted. A certain Captain had kept me up pretty late the night before, if you know what I mean.

"I ran a session at the VA in the morning but other than that not too much. How about you?" I thought it was amazing the work that Sam was doing at the VA. He ran talks and counselling sessions for army veterans. Sometimes I felt like drafting him in to talk to the Avengers. God knows, they needed it after some of the sights they'd seen. I remember after the battle of New York, Steve just shut himself off. He couldn't sleep, wouldn't talk about it. He was never at home. Once I eventually got him to open up to me it was like the barriers had broken down and he got so much better.

"Steve and I had meetings at work all day. They're still going through all the paperwork and statements from what happened in New York. I just want to move on from it to be honest."

"I get ya (Y/N). When something like that happens the last thing you want is to have it brought up every day. Maybe you and Steve could come down to the VA sometime. You could meet some of the veterans, share your experiences."

"I don't know Sam. It took long enough to get him to talk to me," I voiced with a shaky breath. We'd been running for over an hour now and were only just passing the Jefferson Monument.

"Well the offers there if you wanna take it."

"Thanks."

After another half an hour we finally decided to call it a day. It was already boiling hot outside and was only 8am.

"Well, I better head to the gym. Steve will be wondering where I've got to." I always met Steve after my morning run to do some more training. I loved training with him, I just didn't love running with him. He used to hold back so we were in time with each other but I could see it in his eyes, the want to just pick up the pace and push himself. I'd eventually give in, tell him to go for it and he'd launch off in a flash. I may as well have been on my own. In the end we decided that I'd go jogging in one place, he'd go somewhere else and then we'd meet up at the gym.