Chap.4

"They're going to discharge you today."

An excited smile graces my face immediately. "Really, oh my god I'm so happy! After we leave, can you take me to that ice cream shop? You know the one we use to go to all the time, when I was younger."

Dad nods his head, and hands me a pair of clothes to wear out.

"I've already signed the papers, but I want to talk to you before we leave it's very important." I nod and head to the restroom to get changed.

"Did you bring me any socks? I can't seem to find them." I say as I exit. "Yeah it's tucked into your Sperry's." Sitting down on the hospital bed, I fold my legs underneath me.

"So...what is it?" He's hiding something, I just know it.

He looks away from me, and runs a hand through his hair. "I had to agree for you to go to therapy in order to be discharged."

What!

"Do I really have to dad? I don't think that I'm that crazy for me to go. I have problems, and I acknowledge and admit that, but not to the point where I need to go to therapy! I just want to work on them alone."

I finish lamely because I know he's not going to budge on this decision, he probably thinks I need it more then the doctors do.

"I'm sorry A'Luna, but their ideology is only for your care. They think undergoing therapy is an extremity needed to heal and help the patient. They only want the best for you angel, just as I do. I really think this will help sweeties."

My happiness slowly drains away and I'm left feeling fatigued. "I didn't have to tell you, and let you go into it blindsides. But I decided to be fair about it, I want to negotiate when and where to have it. Faith...when I saw you on that floor-" his words are cut off and he takes a deep breath.

"My world shattered, I felt like my heart was ripped out of my body. Nothing felt right in the world, I wanted everything to go back to how it was."

His body sags in his chair, and his face looks like he's aged a couple of years.

"Intact...whole again, like when you were younger and everything was fine between me and your mother." He whispers softly.

Guilt begins to overflow my whole being as I stare at my dad. I-I did this to him...how could I? Getting off of the bed, I quickly envelop him into a tight hug.

"I love you so much daddy, I'm sorry." A tear rolls down my face, and his button down shirt soaks it up quickly.

"I'm sorry...you shouldn't be sorry angel. I failed you as a parent honey."

He wraps his arms around me tighter then before. "I should've seen the signs, it was right there in front of my face; but I shrugged it off as you just being a teenager. I didn't though because I was too busy working and trying to avoid your mother, for that I truly apologize."

Retreating from his hunched form, I wipe away my tears. "I forgive you...now can we be happy?"

He wipes away his tears and stands up. "I just want to go eat ice cream with you, and talk about how you cry like a girl."

His laugh carries around the room and he pulls me into his side. "We still need to discuss the whole therapy thing." He says against my temple.

I frown, and grab the bag of gifts from nurses and family members.

"Can we talk about that tomorrow? I just want to forget about everything today...you know as if it never happened."

Grabbing the flower vases, he nods his head. "I'm okay with that. Let's go get ice cream, yeah?"

"Alright, but can we stop by the nurses station? I want to say goodbye." Dad shrugs his shoulders. "I don't mind, come on. We need to get your papers anyway."

Heading in the other direction, we meander until we find the weirdly shaped counter.

"Nurse Lisa!" Her head whips around in surprise. "Oh Faith, are you leaving?" An excited smile lights up my face. "Yeah, I'm going to miss you and Sarah. Where is she?"

Lisa places a stack of papers on the desk. "Uh I think she's doing her rounds right now, and we're going to miss you too honey."

Rounding the counter she hugs me tightly.

"You better come and visit, though next time not as a patient." We laugh and she brushes my hair out of my face. "I want you to get well okay. Grow old have ten kids and even more grand babies."

My dad lets out a grunt. "No kids until you're thirty-one."

Groaning low in my throat, I roll my eyes. "Mr. Cade give her a break, she's very beautiful. Better watch out, sooner or later she and a boy will be knocking at your door."

She lets out a giggle and hands me the stack of papers.

"These are your discharge papers and prescription for pain meds. Make sure you take one after dinner okay. Your check-up appointment will be three weeks from now, so don't miss me too much."

I laugh and pull my dad away.

"Okay see you soon, tell Sarah I said bye." Skipping down the hall, an excited thrill runs through my body. "Do you think they still have strawberry chocolate pop-tart ice cream?"

The doors open automatically and a warm gush hits me in the face. Gosh I hate Florida's weather. It's always so humid and muggy.

"Hmm...I don't know? I hope they still have peanut butter waffle cone." A sigh leaves me, as a memory hit me square in the face.

"That was good, I still remember how my face turned three different shades of red. I shouldn't have stolen some of your ice cream, but it was still one of the best things I've eaten."

Dad lets out a chuckle.

"Yeah I still remember you smiling in the hospital saying it was worth it." Smiling I punch his arm softly.

"It was!"