Chapter 4: I Discover My House

The Head of Each House walks into Dumbledore's office throughout a time span of about 45 minutes. First is Professor McGonagall, followed by Professor Flitwick. Then is Professor Sprout and last is Professor Snape.

Dumbledore's motions to the chairs around the main desk and walks away as all of the professors sit around me. On my right I have Professor Flitwick and Professor Snape and on my left I have Professor Sprout and Professor McGonagall.

They all look at me with a hint of wonder in their eyes, probably because they have never seen me before. Dumbledore walks back into the room with a raggedy looking hat in his hands.

No. Way. I am about to wear THE Sorting Hat. The same hat that told Harry bloody Potter that he was a Gryffindor.

Dumbledore stands behind me and places the hat on my head.

"Hmm... So many possibilities," the hat mutters. "You fit into the categories of all four of the different Houses," when the hat says this all of the Heads' eyes open wide and they all turn towards me with a renewed interest.

"You're brave," McGonagall perks up.

"You're wise," Flitwick sits up straight.

"You're ambitious," Snape's head rises about an inch. Probably more positive attention than he's given any student.

"You're loyal," Sprout leans forward to get a better view of me.

"What House do you want to be in?" the hat asks me.

"Well, I'd really like to be in Gryffindor with my new friends," I respond after the few seconds it takes me to realize the hat was talking to me.

"Gryffindor eh? I think... I think you'd be better off as a Hufflepuff. HUFFLEPUFF!" the hat decides.

"Hufflepuff!?!? Why Hufflepuff?? Hufflepuff is for sissies! No offense, Professor," I add quickly as I look at Professor Sprout.

"The Hat has decided," says Dumbledore quickly as Professor Sprout opens her mouth to respond. "Tony will be in Hufflepuff. Tony, I suggest you accept your fate now before you get yourself into more trouble than you are already more than likely to have coming your way. You are all dismissed," Dumbledore says as he nods to the Head of each House. "Tony, stay here a moment please."

"Yes, sir," I say sullenly.

The professors leave and Dumbledore looks to me and starts shaking his head.

"The Sorting Hat puts you in the House that it thinks you will be the most useful in Tony. You can still see your friends, and you'll make new ones as well."

"Like who?" I asked, not caring anymore.

"Well, Cedric Diggory is one person you might befriend."

"But Cedric is going to...! Nevermind..."

"I know Cedric will be leaving sooner than you, but you are going to have to deal with it, there's nothing we can do. Now return to the Great Hall for breakfast please."

"Yes, sir."

As I walked down the stairs, I realized that I have no idea how to get to the Great Hall. I've been here less than two hours and the books don't exactly second as maps.

I reach the bottom and walk out, deciding to wait for someone to show me the way.