Chapter Nine: The Drive Home

Mrs. Vanderholt saw the look on my face and said, “I'm sorry, dear. I didn't mean to put you on the spot.”

My throat was dry, so I could feel the walls of it rasping together as I swallowed.

Her expression, though, was all kindness and concern. “We didn't say anything to our kids, if you're worried about that.”

“I'm not protected anymore,” I whispered. “I don't think? Isn't my name in the public record now?”

“It doesn't matter. We know better than most what it's like to be defined by one thing in your life. We're the parents of Gladius, the hero of New Light.” Her eyes twinkled.

I let myself smile.

“I really am sorry to put you on the spot. It's just... you look fantastic, honey. Not even a limp.”

“Thanks.”

“So how are you?”

“I'm good.”

“It is just so good to see you.” Her eyes were moist. “All grown up, and very beautiful.”

I shied away from that remark, but I couldn't turn my head without catching our reflections in the round mirror on the wall in front of us. She gazed down at me like a proud mother and squeezed my shoulder.

“You know who else has applied to work at the DA's office?”

“No, who?”

“Beth. Your sister.”

“You know Beth?”

“We do. Lovely, lovely girl. Finishes her law degree at University of Chicago in the spring.”

I realized my hands were still sudsy. I rinsed them off and plucked a paper towel from the stack on the counter. “I don't keep in touch with any of the Winters,” I said.

“Well, who does? Your father's moved in with another woman.” She said this as if it was a recurring thing. “His wife is... well. She's had it rough, but is still his wife.”

I dried my hands slowly and deliberately.

“How is your mother?” she asked.

“Do you know her?”

“No. Which... this is a terrible question. Which one was she?”

“Started out as the student intern, ended up the receptionist.”

“Oh. Oh... see I didn't even know-” She shook her head. “Enough about that. Have I embarrassed you too much to go back out again?”

“No, it's fine.” I threw the towel away.

Mrs. Vanderholt swept me up into a hug. It came as such a surprise that I nearly tripped, but I managed to hug her back. She smelled like lotion and vanilla. It was a nice combination. “Sorry,” she said, when she released me. “Did I tell you I'm happy to see you all grown up and well?” She pushed the door open and motioned for me to precede her out.

Back at the table, everyone was clustered into a loose huddle, conferring. Jason turned as soon as I walked in and came over to me. “Can I drive you home?” he said. “The crowd's dispersed, they tell me.”

“Okay.” I wasn't sure where Jason was staying, but logic suggested that his parents and sister were in the Northeast Heights. Their children all had gone or went to schools over there. My house wasn't quite on the way, but it wasn't too far out of the way either. Much more convenient than it would be for Steve.

Everyone was moving in the direction of the door. I picked up my take home box of leftovers off the table. “Can I pay for-”

“No,” said Jason. “All taken care of. Come on.”