Twenty-Four: Love Scenes

“Get out of here!”

“Make me.”

“Hit your mark, Gigi.”

I sat and read an article while Jason shot his “love scene” the next day. It was, according to him, “very mild”. I wouldn't be allowed to watch a serious love scene. They closed the set for those.

As it was, I wasn't allowed to watch this one either. Once the cameras started rolling, everyone was supposed to look down. I read my article for organic chemistry while Jason and Gigi yelled at each other and tore at each others clothes.

The lights were hot, even from where I sat, out of their glare. The set was Jason's character's “apartment”, which was actually the corner of a warehouse with a fake window and a rumpled bed.

“Cut! Hit your mark.” The director pointed at a taped mark on the floor where Gigi was supposed to stand when Jason lunged at her in his romantic, leading man kind of way. I flipped another page of my article. The first assistant director had made it crystal clear that if there was so much as the hint of the sound of paper rustling, I'd get thrown off the set, so I was careful.

“Had enough of this yet?” said Jason. Without my noticing, he'd come up to stand next to me. “Because I have. I just want this to be over.” It didn't show in his performance. His job was strange, but he was very, very good at it.

Gigi had been late to work, which meant everything else had started late, and as Jason explained to me, guild rules required twelve hours off between shifts, so starting late one day guaranteed they'd start at least as late the next. “I'm getting a lot of work done,” I said.

“I know. What's that say about my performance? You aren't riveted? Don't answer that. I'm glad you're not riveted.”

I tugged the cap off my highlighter with my teeth and ran the felt tip over some text.

“I'll make this up to you, I promise,” he said.

I wasn't sure what he meant by that, but before I could ask, the director summoned him over and he went back to yelling at Gigi and then collapsing onto a nearby bed with her. Then the shots moved on to kissing scenes, which I had to admit, weren't even remotely romantic. Not with the director making them tilt their heads this way and that so that they didn't cast shadows on each others faces and Jason breaking it off the very second he heard “Cut!”

I carried on reading.

When the director shouted, “That's a wrap!” I'd finished one article and moved on to another.

“Okay,” said Jason. “Let's get out of here.” Dave, his assistant and a handful of other people gathered around and Jason conferred with all of them a moment while I packed up my things and stretched my legs.

“Have a nice night,” Gigi Malone said as she glided on past. She looked fabulous. Her skin was translucent and radiant. Her hair was glossy and styled. Her eyes even sparkled. Jason ignored her completely.

***

I rode back to the hotel in a car with Jason. He had a driver and Dave in the front seat and several other guys in tow. Everyone went up to his room and talked business until Jason sent them all away.

Okay, I thought. Now what?

“You want to watch TV?” Jason asked.

“Sure.”

He handed me the remote and we settled down on the couch. He slipped his arm around my waist and seemed more interested in me than watching anything. I found a news channel and then turned my attention to him. He kissed me a couple of times, but it didn't escalate. He was more intent on scanning my face, as if trying to read my thoughts, rather than establish a mood.