4

(Three and a half weeks later)
     Ah, New York City. A town that never sleeps. A town where dreams are made and excitement crawls in even the dingiest spots. We were excited, but Mary was the most excited of all.
   "What if we bump into John Lennon?! Maybe I'll get an autograph. Maybe he'll call George and I could meet him!" She squealed.
   I rolled my eyes but smiled at her excitement. "I thought Beatlemania was dead, like Paul," I joked to Alex, which the "Paul is dead" theory always made him laugh because of the absurdity.
   Mary shot me a dirty look. "I swear to god I'll burn your sandwich, then your guitar if you don't shut up, Edward."
   I made a pouty lip. "Oh no, please don't burn my precious grilled cheese."
    "You're such a smart ass," she said, smiling.
    For the past couple of weeks, I've really gotten to know Mary. We were both pretty similar, actually. We liked the same things and had the same views. Every time after a little partying and a little fun time with some bitch, I'd hang out with Mary. She wasn't alone though; there was a roadie who liked her, and they hang out. Admittedly, I get a little jealous when I see them hanging out. I don't even want to ask if they, well ya know, hook up. I hate to admit it, but I think I have a crush on her.
    "Here ya go, rockstar," Mary said as she put my sandwich down.
     "Thanks."
   Mary made herself one too and sat down with me to eat. After our meal, I told her I'd take her out, and even walk past Lennon's home. She was excited about that. Oh yeah, I also forgot to mention, it's her birthday today. So me taking her out is my treat. Also, back when we were in Buffalo a couple days ago I bought her a present.
   "One of these days I'd love to come back and see a Broadway show," Mary told me as we talked about New York. She picked up our plates and cleaned them up in the sink.
   "Why? You could just watch people sing, for free, on stage tonight," Alex said.
   "It's not the same, Al. You guys aren't acting and telling a story. I want to watch them perform and be enchanted."
   "I think you should try out for Broadway. You're pretty dramatic." Alex smirked.
   "Thanks. I take that as a compliment." Mary flipped her long, dark hair. She turned and looked at me. "Ready?"
   "Yep."
  We walked out the bus and she put her arm through mine. We grabbed a taxi and went into the city. First, we went down to Times Square and looked at or in some of the stores. We also went by the Ambassador Theatre and I took a picture of Mary standing in front of it with her Polaroid. We then went to a hot dog stand and got lunch. Finally, we took a taxi and got out by Lennon's place. And I did not expect Lennon to be there. But..
   "Oh my god! There's John!" Mary squealed in delight.
   Sure enough, John and Yoko walked out of the building. Mary and I walked up to them.
   "Hi Mr. Lennon, sorry to bother you, but I was wondering if I could get a picture with you," Mary said, more confident than I expected.
   "Oh, uh, yeah sure," John seemed a little annoyed, but he smiled at Mary and put his arm around her shoulders. They looked at me and I took their picture.
   "Thank you very much, John," Mary said.
  "No problem." He smiled and gave her a hug. And then he looked at me. "Hey, aren't you Eddie Van Halen?" 
   "Uh, y-yeah. I am."
   "You're an amazing guitarist, man. You guys keep doing what your doin, I know you're gunna be big." And with that, he and Yoko walked off. Mary was grinning from ear to ear.
   "OH MY GOD. John fucking Lennon just told you that. Did I hear right? Oh my god. That is so awesome."
   "Yeah. That is so cool." It really was. I was honored.
   Mary and I decided to end our day there and go back so I could get ready for the concert. Little did she know I had two more presents for her birthday..