Part 3

There were no seats available: It seemed like the whole city was in the room, listening to some of the greatest music ever performed. Ella's heart swelled in sync with the crescendos, and she swayed from side to side, her eyes closed. Some people said that jazz was immoral, primitive, or jarring, Ella thought jazz accurately captured the essence of the soul. 

Hidden by the darkness that encompassed the room, Ella bopped, twirled, and swayed to the syncopated beat, clapping enthusiastically after each piece. Ella's greatest desire was to be on stage. She wanted to acquire fame, like the musicians before her, and be remembered forever as one of the greatest singers of all time. It was a fleeting dream that Ella desperately hoped would come true. 

As the night came to a close, the beat slowed down and the tones sweetened. The music took on a more mellow feel that could put the most troublesome baby to sleep. The saxophone sang out above the rest with a rich clarity unlike any other. As the orchestra finished up the last piece of the night, the whole room filled with applause. Ella clapped also and was turning to leave when a hand touched her shoulder. 

"Miss...?" 

"It's Ella." 

"I'm Louis Becker, the founder of The Roseland. I've noticed that you come here a lot and on different occasions, I've noticed you singing and dancing right along with some of the performers." Ella blushed in the embarrassment of being caught.

"And might I add that you have a marvelous voice! Such talents should not be wasted! So I have an offer for you. How would you like to sing here, on stage, with Sam Lanin and The Roseland Orchestra as your accompaniment, two weeks from this Thursday?" 

"Yes! Of course! I'd be honored, Mr. Becker!" Ella squealed, her excitement barely contained in the now quiet room. "Thank you, thank you so much, sir!" 

Mr. Becker smiled. "Practices are every night starting at 7 p.m. Don't be late. Oh, and for the performance please wear a gold dress and maybe accessorize with a gold feather headband. I'm sure you'll find something fitting." 

"Yes sir, I'll buy the prettiest gold dress I can find; you won't be disappointed." Mr. Becker nodded and handed Ella the music score for Avalon, written and sung by Al Jolson. 

"Take care you don't rip or crumple this score. Go over this song several times; try it out on the piano if you can. I expect you to have it memorized by the performance date." 

"Yes sir, I will. I swear it," Ella said solemnly. 

Mr. Becker grasped Ella's hand in his, raised it to his lips, and kissed it. Ella blushed and he let go, bidding her a good night. She practically skipped out the door, hailing another taxi to take her home. The whole drive Ella struggled with whether or not she should tell her parents about her singing gig, including her frequent trips to the ballroom. But by the time she had reached her house, she had made her decision: She wasn't going to tell her parents. They wouldn't approve; they never had.