Chapter Three: Fertility Doctor

Bouncing his knee while he waited for them to be called into the room to speak with the doctor, Manuel tried to ease his mind about why they were here; he felt a little nervous about what might happen. 

Peeking around the room, Manuel was a little relieved that they hadn't been bothered by anyone; he liked that they had an early appointment so that there weren't too many people around. 

When making the appointment, they had been assured that all care would be taken so that no one would disturb them when they arrived and that discretion would be used to ensure that no one knew they were there. 

Charlene sat quietly next to him, she hadn't really spoken since they had sat down in the waiting room; her mind was filled with worries about what might be wrong with them. 

Manuel reached over and carefully took her hand, he lanced their fingers and tried to offer her what he thought would be a reassuring smile. 

They didn't have to wait long before the doctor called them in, Manuel held on tightly to her hand; he wanted nothing more than to know what was going on with them. 

Dr. Forester smiled at them as she showed the couple into her office, she had been surprised to hear that they were having problems but she was sure that she would be able to help them. 

"Now what seems to be the problem," Dr. Forester asked sitting down behind her desk, she rested her arms on it and smiled reassuringly at the couple. 

She guessed that it hadn't been an easy decision for them to make to come here and see her; it was usually the last thing that anyone wanted to do even when they did not want to accept that things weren't happening as naturally as they liked. 

"We're having problems conceiving," Manuel admitted holding onto Charlene's hands, he was worried what the doctor might find and he feared that it was something that couldn't be done. 

He and Charlene had always wanted children and to think that couldn't happen because there was something wrong with one of them worried Manuel even more. 

"How long have you been trying?" Dr. Forester asked starting off simple, lots of couples came to her after only a few months of trying and she was sure that it would be something simple to solve.

"About four maybe five years," Charlene admitted softly, they had started trying a few years back when they had felt ready and secure in their relationship; both of them far too eager to wait to start their little family together. 

It had been an easy decision and marriage had come along when they were ready for that step, they had talked everything through before hand so they both knew where they stood. 

Charlene felt like this was her fault and she was letting Manuel down for not giving him a child; everything seemed to be against them in this department when everything else was working out for them. 

Dr. Forester nodded her head, this was surely a sign that the couple had done what they could before coming to see her; she made some notes knowing that they had done the right thing. 

"I think the first step would be for you both to be checked over... just to make sure that everything is working okay," Dr. Forester began, it was a simple check and it would allow her to plan the next step for the couple and what they needed to do to improve their chances of conceiving a child together. 

Manuel took a deep breath and nodded his head, he wasn't looking forward to this part and he hoped that everything would be okay; he wasn't sure what he would do if there was something wrong with him. 

"If you follow the nurse... she can lead you to a private room," Dr. Forester said handing Manuel the cup for him to use, she offered him a small reassuring smile knowing that he would understand what she was asking for him.