Chapter Twenty Two

Screams

She hated this.

Mary Anne had left Jacquelyn a few hours ago, and left Jacquelyn alone to her thoughts.

God. She thought. Why? What is this? Some sort of punishment? Well, it's a stupid punishment at that. "You didn't do your homework, be a girl!"
Ha, right. Jacquelyn sighed. Why?

Jacquelyn looked out through the little crack in the shed. 9:24. I guess I'll pass the time, sleeping, dreaming of a better life, or more nightmares, I guess.

Jacquelyn closed her tired eyes and lay down on her makeshift bed and wished for a happy dream this time. Her wish wasn't answered.
---------------------------
"Dance! Dance, you idiot!" She danced quicker yet more graceful, happier yet more entrancing, better yet sadder.

"You're a natural, baby! Smile!" This time she didn't smile. Jack looked at his mother and saw a demonic blurry face, instead of his crazy yet beautiful mother.

And as the words poured out of Mary Anne's mouth, Jacquelyn fell to the ground, suddenly consumed by the creaky floorboard of the shed. She fell, deeper and deeper, past his mother, past his father, into the world underground.

"Freedom." Jacquelyn said. "Freedom."
---------------------------
Jacquelyn woke in a cold sweat. She guessed it was a happy dream, happy ending at least. She sat up and rubbed her eyes, disrupting her fake eyelashes.
She looked through the crack to see the bright '7:30' of the alarm clock, and his mother not in bed.

Bang. Bang. Jacquelyn whipped around to stare at the now open trapdoor, his mother crawling up.

"Jackie, we have plans today! We're going out to meet a boy!" She giggled.
"I bet you'll like him! He's cute."

Jacquelyn shivered. A boy. She wasn't into boys. She wouldn't find him cute. She didn't want to make any friends. She wanted to get out of this living hell.
--------------------------
"Ah, that must be her!" Jacquelyn looked towards the annoyingly high pitched voice and then at the little boy holding the girl's hand. She examined her new 'friend'. He was not very attractive, wearing dirty clothes and currently picking his nose.

She cringed and looked at Mary Anne, who was holding her hand. "Okay sweetie, go play!" The two moms started talking and laughing instantly and pushed off the two children.

The two walked over to a tree and sat down. Jacquelyn kept pulling at her skirt while the boy just sat down with his phone picking his nose and occasionally grunting. Jacquelyn sighed and leaned back onto the tree. She started to pick at flowers and grass, bored out of her mind.

"Hey." Jacquelyn looked at the boy who was now staring at her. She smiled awkwardly.

"What's your name?" The boy asked, continuing to stare at her in boredom.

She hadn't spoken since her father died and her mother went crazy, and she had no interest to speak now. She shrugged.

"You don't know your name?" He smirked. She shrugged again. "I'm Ben. I like football and my phone." She looked down at her skirt. She used to love sports. She'd play it every day in her huge backyard. Alone, of course, just how she liked it. She wasn't allowed to play anymore.

"Won't speak to me, will you?" He started to look angry. "You shy or just mute?" She didn't know. Was she mute? She had the option to speak, she just... didn't.

She nodded. He frowned. "Fine then. I'll do the talking." Ben continued talking about the most random things, droning on and on about things she had no interest in, but she couldn't do anything about it. She refused to speak. What purpose did it hold?

After a while, Ben leaned in towards Jacquelyn and whispered something into her ear. "They want us to date, you know." She looked at him with a frown.
"Never... In a million years." She muttered, under her breath.

"Oh!" Ben exclaimed. "So you do speak!" He acted surprised. Jacquelyn was starting to hate this boy more, and more. She had to scare him away to get rid of him. "I used to be a boy." She said. "Haha. Very funny." Jacquelyn just stared at him. How could she prove it?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~