Mercy x Genji (part 1)

The two walked down the hall towards the medical bay. Just a few hours ago, Genji had returned from his mission. HQ had lost contact with him two weeks ago, and although there was some worry over his well-being, most were assured of his safety. It was not uncommon after all, for an operative such as Genji to cut off all radio contact for the sake of evading any threats. When the ninja had finally appeared at base's entrance, the team was ecstatic. Unexpectedly however, he had not returned alone.

"How is he doctor?" Genji asked the blonde haired woman to his side. It had been half a year since he had last seen the woman. When he had left the base for his mission, she had been stationed elsewhere. Seeing her upon his return brought him both surprise and joy.

"Well, considering he came in with massive trauma on his upper chest resulting in five broken ribs, one of which punctured his lung, and massive blood loss from multiple lacerations on his arms and legs..." The doctor paused and looked over at him. After a few moments she smiled and placed a hand on his arm. "Don't worry Genji. He's going to be fine."

"I-I was not worried!" Genji cocked his head forward. That was what he hated, or rather truthfully liked about the woman beside him. Despite the mask that concealed the entirety of his face, she had always been able to tell what he was feeling. Just now, she had said all that to probe for his reaction, even staring into his face as if she could see through the metal covering it. This ability of hers unnerved him, but at the same time comforted him. He felt it signified a connection. What that connection exactly was, he could only wonder.

The doctor gave a brief chuckle. "No, of course not. How could you be worried? You were, after all, in a much, much worse condition when I saved you. You were basically a corpse."

"Yes, well, my brother didn't hold back."

"What?"

The doctor stopped in her tracks. Genji stopped and turned to look at her. He thought about what he just said and realized he had casually revealed his would-be killer. Before, he had kept his past a closely guarded secret, but ever since he reconciled with his brother, Hanzo, he found he has become more open to talking about it.

"It is okay doctor. I would not have brought him here if he were still keen on finishing what he had started."

Mercy said nothing and continued towards the medical bay.

Automatic doors slid open upon the arrival of Mercy and Genji. The med bay had one lone patient at the far end of the room. The patient lied on a white bed surrounded by machinery and screens monitoring his vitals. Seeing the two figures walking toward him, the patient sat up in bed.

The two reached Hanzo's bedside, but other than the heart monitor's constant beating, there was silence. Genji looked over at Mercy who had walked ahead of him. He waited for her to speak first but instead she simply stared at his brother.

"Uh, Doctor Ziegler this is my brother Hanzo. Hanzo, this is Doctor Ziegler. You probably know her as Mercy. She was the one who saved me after-"

SLAP

Hanzo had seen it coming, but chose not to do anything. He could tell by the look on the doctor's face that her action just now was part of his atonement.

"I hope you realize how fortunate you are that you had failed."

"I do. And thank you. For taking care of him."

Genji watched as the two continued to stare, speaking to each other without words. Finally, the doctor's expression softened. She took in a deep breath and exhaled.

"How're you feeling?" she asked.

Just then a voice came over the intercom. "Genji, we need you in the briefing room again."

"Understood. I am on my way," he said, then turned to the other two, "I will talk to you later, brother. And doctor, I appreciate the thought, but I believe a doctor's job is to heal their patients, no?"

Mercy simply smiled and then turned to a monitor displaying Hanzo's current vitals. She then began asking questions concerning his condition.

As Genji exited the med bay, he thought back to the doctor's expression. How she felt anger towards the one who caused him harm, as if he were someone close to her. At that thought, a distinct feeling coursed through his body. He shook it off and made his way to the briefing room.