Chapter 2

"I'm still here y'know!" Shouta rubbed the top of his head where Sohma hit him. He turned to Sohma. "You didn't have to hit me that hard, if you didn't know, I'm the eldest."

"Don't act weird around girls then, or anyone for that matter." Sohma retorted, receiving another response from Shouta. I only chuckled at their banter.

"Anyways," he said, before exchanging snarls from Sohma and then facing me with a smile with the same aura as Sohma's. "Shinohara-san, right?"

"Just call me Sumiko." I interjected in the most polite way possible.

He nodded. "Sumiko," he corrected himself. "I figured out what's wrong with the car, and since you lent me your phone, why don't I give you a ride to school?"

I hesitated slightly, turning my head to the expensive looking car.
"Hey, don't let Sohma's words get in your head. I'm not a pervert!" He defended. Sohma chortled at the back, muttering 'yeah, right' and mouthing 'don't accept. Pervert. Pervert' while pointing at Shouta.

"I-it's not that!" I raised my hands in defense. "It just seems to much of an offer." My voice went meek at the last sentence.

A hand latched on my arm and dragged me away. "We're going to be late, pervy nii-san! Drive yourself home."

"Don't go deciding things by yourself!" Shouta yelled back, but Sohma remained aloof and took the route to school, while I obediently traipsed behind him.

Students (girls mostly) noticeably took a stealing glance at the man in front of me, and blushed. Until they saw the girl behind her and started muttering things about me. Seventy five percent of them are negative, such as 'she's so bland' or 'why would such a hottie like him go with that girl?'. Somewhere along those lines.

I resent people who talk smug without taking a look at their own. That happens a lot in my childhood days. I aced the exams and became the teacher's pet, and soon, everyone was badmouthing about me behind my back.

And during my middle school years, I used to get a lot of confessions from guys, which annoyed most girls. And I turn them down, hopefully to be forgiven by the girls, but it got worse. By rejecting them, they gossip about me thinking highly of myself, that the boys at my school were average and not fit to date me. I just wasn't interested in dating, especially since I was so young at that age.

Well, let them say what they want. I'll always stay positive, like mom.

Without realizing, both of us were already at the school campus. To fill in the details, our school is called Inzei academy. It's one of the most prestigious schools in Japan, considering its name 'Inzei' being literally translated in English as 'royalty'. It has a large gate with the logo in it's middle, a wide pathway to the main building, clearings for school activities, and a gym in a separate building. The tuition here is also very costly, that only the smartest and the most opulent can be worthy to study in this school.

And yet, it's the only school in town, so I had no choice than to spend my middle school and high-school years here. And mother had to work day to night, and whenever her boss offers her overtime for a raise, she gladly accepts. When she goes home, she apologizes and hugs me like she's never going to see me for a long time.

Now that I thought about it, I didn't think about this month's tuition fee! Should I borrow money from my grandfather? He probably needs that money for the renovation of the house. Maybe I could borrow from Mikoto or Kyouko. No! They still think I live with grandfather, and will ask me to borrow from him.

I need a job. As soon as possible!

"Sumiko," Sohma's smooth, yet firm tone snapped me back to reality. As if on cue, I halted in front of a lamp post, my face inches away from being bonked square in the nose.

I took a step back and went around the post, hearing students giggling in the back. I let my head hang low, a shaky voice escaping my lips.

"Sorry about that, Sohma-san. I just spaced out a little." I clenched the handles of my bag and brushed my stress aside. It's already an honor just breathing the same air Sohma, and here I am walking with him. And I'm already causing trouble. Next thing you know, his pesky fan club will be up my face demanding an explanation.

"Sumiko," he called once more as I swiveled my head towards him. He lightly hit my forehead and I gave an unnecessary whimper. "Didn't I tell you to stop with the formalities." He laughed in a princely way, and caught the attention of the girls that surrounded the grass clearings based on their shrieks.

I smiled as a response. Just doing simple things could attract the attention of hundreds. He really is someone to admire.

"I heard that your mom passed away not too long ago," He continued.

My bottom lip shuddered at the memory.

"Uh, I'm sorry for bringing this up, but I'm just curious of your current lifestyle. How do you live without any guardians?"

I mentally sighed. Guess there's no point in being pretentious. "I have a grandfather, but we're living separately due to homing issues."

"I see,"

The awkward silence between us was masked by the bustling students and inaudible whispers. I'm overwhelmed by the size of this school, up until now we haven't reached the main building yet. But for Sohma to bring such a topic, he must've wanted to say something regarding that matter.

"Sohma-san, if you want to tell me something just go ahead." I said.

"Okay then. You're looking for a job, right?" He glanced at me.

I nodded in response. Just then, a strong breeze blew across the campus, the cherry blossom trees moving along with the wind. A waft of pink petals glided across us.

He smiled and caught a cherry blossom petal that fluttered near his range. He brought it down to my forehead, the breeze picked up making the blossom tickle my forehead. "I might be able to help you with that. Meet me after school."

He let go of the petal and let it glide to the ground. He gave me one last reassuring smile and proceeded to the main building. I didn't budge from my position, watching his figure recede under a shower of petals and morning haze, disappearing under them like a god. I raised my fingers to my forehead, the way the petal tickled my skin. The feeling was still there. Sohma is really someone to look up to. So reliable and kind.

I wish to be like him someday.

_________________

Hey guys! Thank you for reading and I apologize for the short chapter. Baiiii!!!!

-Bianca