Chapter 4

It had been almost two weeks since both Elena and Katherine had arrived in Mystic Falls and ever since they had met, it had been clear to Damon that they didn't get along all too well. It was just something that didn't go unnoticed. Whenever he was around, they'd pretend they could stand each other, but he could feel the tension between them.

But where there was tension between Elena and Katherine, was a connection between Elena and Damon. They had spent pretty much every hour of every day together. Every time Damon thought about the brunette, he couldn't help but smile. He felt lighter, happier, and he wasn't the only one who had noticed him change over the past few days.

''So.. You and Elena, huh?'' Stefan asked, fixating his emerald gaze on Damon.

Damon rolled his shoulders into a nonchalant shrug. ''Yeah, we get along fine.''

Stefan furrowed his brows, not quite satisfied with the answer he'd gotten out of Damon. ''Oh come on, Damon. Talk to me. We both know that you two get along more than just fine.'' Stefan paused for a moment before continuing. ''You know what I think? I think there is something going on between the two of you, that for sure. But you're holding back. Why, Damon?''

Damon sighed and pushed himself to his feet, pacing the length of the room. ''I don't know, brother.. She just.. Elena makes me a different person, you know what I mean?'' Damon glanced down at his feet as he spoke. ''I'm pretty sure about my feelings for her, but the thing is, I'm not sure about the feelings she has for me. I want to be what she wants, what she needs. I want to be the person she spends every waking moment with. But I don't know if I can be all that.. Christ, I don't even know if she wants me to be all that.''

Stefan remained silent, pondering Damon's question. He bobbed his head in a slight nod. ''I see where you're coming from, but you'll never figure it out if you don't tell her.''

Raking his fingers through his onyx tendrils, Damon nodded with furrowed brows. ''I guess I should go talk to her then.'' He stated. And with that, he left the room.

...

Katherine quickly dashed into her room as she heard Damon leave. She had been eavesdropping and had heard the entire conversation between Damon and Stefan. Smiling smugly, she searched through her bag before holding out a small bottle. She pulled out the cork and poured a bit of the fluid on a cloth from the sink before closing it again. Quietly, she slipped out of the guest room before making her way to the one at the other side of the hall, knocking quietly on the wooden door.

''Yeah?'' Elena muttered as she opened, a bit startled at the sight of Katherine standing outside the door, her head tilted to the side.

''Hello, Elena.'' She said before forcing the cloth over her mouth.

Elena's brows narrowed and she struggled in Katherine's tight hold. Though, her struggles got weaker and weaker by the second until her body went entirely limp in Katherine's arms.

A soft smile etched at the corner of Katherine's mouth as she glanced around before dragging Elena into her own room and closing the door.

She had to act quickly.

Katherine laid Elena's body down on her bed before disposing the cloth in the bin beside Elena's night stand. After wiggling herself out of her dress, she slipped on one of the many jeans and shirts Elena kept in her closet. She'd straightened her hair as well as she could before she heard a tentative knock on the door. She took a deep breath, stealing one last glance at her appearance in the mirror.

Here we go.

...

Damon waited patiently in front of Elena's door, curling his lower lip between his canines as he nervously rocked back and forth on the ball of his feet. Never before, had he felt like this before approaching a girl.

He jumped slightly as the door suddenly opened and Elena slipped outside. A soft smile curled onto his brims and he opened his mouth to speak, but Elena quickly cut him off.

''Let's go outside.''

Nodding, Damon led her outside. He stuffed his hands into his pockets as they walked, keeping his gaze locked onto the floor. How was he going to start?

''What's wrong?'' Elena asked.

It wasn't until then that Damon realized he'd stopped walking and was just staring down. He lifted his head to look at her, oceanic-blue spheres meeting whiskey-tinted scleras. ''Elena.. I..'' He started, his voice trembling lightly.

Moving over to stand before him, Elena lifted her hands to cradle his face, gazing into his eyes. ''You?'' She asked, her voice soft as she spoke.

Damon drew in a rather shaky breath, closing his eyes for a brief moment. He hesitantly wrapped his arms around her waist, pulling her body flush against his own. He could feel her hot breath tickling his skin as he leaned in before pressing his lips tenderly against hers.

Elena stood as if frozen to the spot before gradually relaxing in his hold, motioning her lips against his in a soft kiss.

After a moment, Damon pulled back and rested his forehead against her own. ''I love you, Elena Gilbert.'' He muttered.

She blinked a couple of times as she watched him, remaining silent way too long for his liking.

''Say something.. Anything..'' He said, scared of what her answer might be.

Elena shook her head lightly, squirming out of his hold and backing away. She rubbed her arm, averting her gaze. ''I'm sorry, Damon.'' She whispered before twisting on the spot and walking away.

That did not go as he had planned.